How to Make Felted Soap

$10

Why put wool fiber on bars of soap, you ask? Great question! Because it makes a wonderful scrubby. You can exfoliate and wash your skin at the same time.

Not only is this a fun activity for you but it’s a great craft for kids, too.

What is Hand Felted Soap?

Felt Soap is literally soap that is enclosed in felted wool. Basically, the wool is placed on a bar of soap and as you work it with water, the fibers felt together.

As you use the soap, the bar shrinks and the felt shrinks with it.

Supplies needed:

Wool Roving

Bar Soap

Nylon Hose

Water

How Do You Make Felted Soap?

Soap felting can get a little messy since you will be using water. So, before you begin, think about where you will be doing this. You can work the soap over a sink or a large bowl or cover your table with a plastic tablecloth.

Basically, all you have to do is thin out the wool roving and wrap around your bar of soap.

You can use one color of wool or many. You can make stripes or solids … whatever you like.

Felting The Soap

Now, pop the soap inside one of the nylon knee highs and tie it off.

Now, add some water and work the soap with your hands until the wool has felted firmly around the soap.

You will want to remove the soap from the hose every few minutes to make sure it doesn't felt into the hose.

This soap was felted in stripes using green and white wool.

These felted soaps are a great DIY Gift idea!!

See more details here

You can find lots more FELTING TUTORIALS at

FIBERARTSY.COM

25 Beautiful Things You Can Make With Rope & Twine
30 Address Signs That'll Make Your Neighbors Stop in Admiration
21 Ways To Use Those Pickle Jars You've Been Saving
Here's How You Can DIY The Hottest Home Decor Trends of 2018
15 Ways To Upcycle And Create More Storage At The Same Time
16 Floating Shelves That Will Stun Guests
Fiberartsy

• Debbie
    Debbie

Really Nice. but I’m confused..After you put the soap in a nylon do you wrap it in the felt. Do you leave the nylon on the soap? How long do you need it to dry?

• Fiberartsy
      Fiberartsy

Hi Debbie ... you wrap the wool around the soap and then put it in the nylon. You felt it for a few minutes and then take it out to check the felting process. This can take anywhere from 5 to 20. Once it is done, take it out of the nylon and let it dry ... usually overnight.

• Benjamin
    Benjamin

Why though? What purpose does this actually hold?

• Fiberartsy
      Fiberartsy

Felted soap is a great scrubby. As a gardener, it's awesome for cleaning your hands after digging in the dirt.

• Virginia Farmchick
    Virginia Farmchick

I have alpacas so this is a fun useful project that I love to do with the raw fiber and the roving.

• Fiberartsy
      Fiberartsy

Fun! I used to have alpacas which is how I got into the fiber arts :)

• Susan
    Susan
    Just now

I love felted soap, often purchasing it at farmer's market. I'm happy to know how to make my own!