Half Bath - Whole New Look

$600

The 1/2 bath on the first floor of my home has been a point of contention for me since moving in a few years ago. Tiny and sparse, it did nothing to inspire me...until it did.

There were a number of issues with this project, not the least of them, a flaking ceiling, corners that weren't square, and baby blue fixtures!

Believe it or not, my muse was a set of Maurice Sendak prints that I had in my prior home. Once I had a focus, it all just fell together- of course with a lot of sweat and tears.

This is where I began. Once I stopped trying to work around the blue fixtures, I was able to go to town!

First things first - those fixtures had to go. With COVID, I vowed to do as much myself as possible. I didn't want workers in and out of my house unless absolutely necessary. I had never done anything like this before but with YouTube, all you need is some courage.

My next step was to hang this amazing, paintable wallpaper that looks like bead board. It is thick and hides a multitude of sins. I took it to just over halfway up the wall. Because of the vertical lines in the paper, using a plumb line was imperative.

I then freshened up the gray paint and applied a glossy white to the paper and trim.

Now for my boldest move...I painted the floor!!! Now before the wood purists out there pitch a fit, the floor was a cheap-grade laminate, and it was obvious in-person. My intention was to hand stencil it, but (here's where the tears came in)...evidently, that's not my forte.

I went with inexpensive self adhesive tiles instead. It wound up being the highlight of the room.

Then to tackle my peeling ceiling. I used embossed wallpaper that looked like old metal ceiling tiles. I painted it gloss white to really bring out the pattern. I love this ceiling now.

By far the most difficult aspect of this project was installing the cornice molding. The room was really off square so I didn't even want to attempt coping the corners. I used the corner pieces which allowed me to make straight cuts. The chair railing was not nearly so difficult but it came with its own challenges. There were some tears shed here too, but after several attempts and lots of caulk, SUCCESS! Two coats of gloss white covered all of the trim.

I did call my plumber in to install the new fixtures. I didn't want to go through all of that work to have it ruined by a leaky toilet or sink.

Getting a photo that could show everything was impossible. When I say the room is small, it's 4' x 6'. This is the best I could do. Still working on a shelf for behind the toilet and a few other accessories, but for the most part, it's done.

30 Creative Painting Techniques & Ideas You MUST See
18 String Art Ideas That You'll Want To Hang In Your Home
31 Tricks To Help You Fix The Wood In Your Home:
15 Genius Ways to Organize Your Bedroom

• Holly Wildey
    Holly Wildey

My daughters bathroom has a peeling ceiling. What kind of prep work did you have to do before putting the wallpaper up?

• Holly Wildey
      Holly Wildey

Yes you are right. I think her bathroom is lacking ventilation. Most likely a much bigger problem than just peeling paint. Probably needing new drywall and definitely a fan. Thanks for your input.

• Dpbeee2
    Dpbeee2

I so admire that sink. Where can you find it?

• A
      A

The sink top is from Home Depot. The faucet is from amazon.com. The base I made using black pipe fittings - also purchased at Home Depot. I googled how to make a pipe fitting sink base, read a lot of tutorials, watched youtube and then tried it out. Not difficult, just a bit frustrating at times (but that was due more because of my lack of strength in my hands).

• Rita Adams
    Rita Adams

What did you use as the trim on the wall above the wallpaper?

• A
      A

It is a very light plastic molding from Home Depot. Super easy to work with.

• Patti
    Patti

i love the look. You did very well with what you had. On the bottom shelf you might try tall cloth baskets or some bold color Dollar Store baskets. You could make shelves. 1/2” wood or vinyl shelves hanging from grosgrain ribbon with a d ring attached ar the tops to hand from.

• Jacquie
    Jacquie

Love the end result...can I hire you?😊