Nightstand Makeover

$100

We love our neighbors! From time to time our neighbors offer us furniture they would otherwise put on the curb so imagine our excitement when they offered us these. They aren't much to look at, but they had good bones so knew they could be saved.

They looked rather beat up and worn down but surprisingly they weren't that bad to prep. We started by cleaning with some krud kutter and rinsing thoroughly. Then we sanded down to the original base using 80/120/150 and then started filling holes.

We used plastic wood in Golden oak to fill the holes and let it dry. We then lightly sanded it down using 220 - yes the plastic wood is that easy to work with!

Then we turned to our favorite sander, the 3 x 4 electric ray Surfprep and did a quick final sand using a medium grit and wiped it down using an oil free tack cloth.

After all that, we decided it was too plain and took out some Dry Dex spackle and gave these nightstands some texture. We then let it dry and painted in a beautiful color called Nightfall by Country Chic paint. You can use code AMINI10 to save on your order.

It still wasn't happy enough so we added a few more colors to brighten it up and a happy rainbow to make these unique and one of a kind. We then sealed these in General Finishes High Performance in Satin and added Crystal knobs.

Finally, they look complete!

13 DIY Projects That Scream Canada
31 Astounding Things You Didn't Know You Could Do With Contact Paper
18 Stunning Backsplash Ideas You Do Not Want To Miss!
18 Wintery Wreath Ideas That You'll Want To Make For Your Home

To see more: //www.instagram.com/aminidesignashburn

• Crista | oliveushome
    Crista | oliveushome

How did you make the rainbow paint look like that? Do you have pictures showing how you did it? Is it spray paint?

• Amini Design Ashburn
      Amini Design Ashburn

Hi Crista,

I used synthetic brushes, one for each color for the rainbow. Once those base colors dry, use a mister bottle to lightly spray the rainbow, and add the same colors again as a second coat then take a dry brush and blend the edges of each color into the next, wiping off the brush when color is picked up. I just do this a bunch of times until the transitions aren't so stark. Hope this makes sense.

• Kathy
    Kathy

What is the purpose of clear wax on painted furniture ?I liked these DIY a love seeing videos

• Mary Lou
    Mary Lou

Why sand if you are gonna add spackle?? Rainbow doesn't feel right with these pieces... Love the green!

• Valerie Burge
    Valerie Burge

Unique and so pretty. I like!

• Kathy
    Kathy

I really didn't care for the rainbow , but I'm a older less modern lady! I love seeing transformation! Thank you for these great DIYs

• Amini Design Ashburn
      Amini Design Ashburn

I can understand that. Everyone has their own taste and style, many pieces I see are mass produced with no individual style. That's not what I enjoy doing for my creative pieces that are not commissioned. These are created to reflect what I would have in my own home. Thank you for following along!