Easy Wrapped Lampshade Makeover

$8

If you have thrifted an old lampshade in dire need of a refresh, try this minimalist Wrapped Lampshade Makeover. Wrapping a natural string around the frame is an easy way to japandi-fy your lamp.

For this DIY project, I had an old wicker lampshade. If you need to strip wicker off a lampshade frame, head over to the blog post where you'll find a step-by-step with photos!

This is the lampshade I started with. Wicker lampshades can be amazing but this particular one just felt so flat with its sad coat of white paint.

Wrapping the lampshade frame works up very quickly! To begin, tie your paper string to the top hoop of the frame. I added a bit of masking tape to make sure the knot wouldn’t slip.

Place the lampshade in front of you and bring the ball of yarn down to the bottom hoop of the frame. Loop the yarn around twice.

Bring the ball of yarn up and over the top hoop. Repeat this pattern, making sure the string remains tight.

As you work your way around the frame, you’ll eventually come so close to the next metal post that it will be hard to slide in your ball of string. At this point, you can cut out a small piece of cardboard and wrap some string around it. This will allow you to continue wrapping close to the metal post.

Now that you have upcycled your lampshade, it’s time to screw it back onto its base. The plainer the base, the better for this minimalist style. I had a wooden lamp base I wanted to tweak in some way until I realized it was gorgeous just the way it was. Yes, sometimes less DIY is better than more…

Check out Veryliv.com for more easy DIY ideas

31 Storage Hacks That Will Instantly Declutter Your Kitchen
Update Your Plain Dishes With These Adorable Ideas
15 Home Improvement DIY Ideas You'll Want To Copy This Month
How A Little Bit Of Glitter Can Go A Long Way!
15 Clever Repurposing Ideas That Will Add Some Creativity to Your Home
15 Decor Projects That Will Make Your Home Beautiful
VeryLiv

• Bonnie L Pearson
    Bonnie L Pearson

Hi I love the idea of this as I have quite a few lampshades I just hate to throw out....i do have one question: where you notated to repeat that pattern do you do the double loop on the top and bottom every time? Or just the bottom every time? Or at the bottom just that one time? Lol I don't want to screw it up. Thank you so much!

• Nancy
      Nancy

It would have to be one on top and two on bottom because of the size difference of the hoops, her way equals out the pattern. 😀

• Bonnie L Pearson
    Bonnie L Pearson

Ok I just asked you 1 question, but I have another as well. When you come to the metal wires that run vertically on the frame(about 4 or 5)what dis you do with the wire? Did u wrap jute around the wire as well and if so how? Or did you just bypass the wire and continue the pattern as stated above? Thank you, I just want to be clear, not trying to be a dummy....😳😳😀😀😝😝

• Rubyskye
      Rubyskye

maybe just a drop of glue would hold the wrap to the wire so it doesn't slip and expose it.

• Bbunny
    Bbunny

I would like to try this, but I don't understand why you wrapped the twine around the piece of cardboard. I know you didn't leave it there, so could you tell me the purpose of the cardboard and what you did with the twine around it? Thanks.

• VeryLiv
      VeryLiv

Well, there are vertical metal wires holding the lampshade frame together. When you wrap the twine between the top and bottom hoops, you'll eventually get close to one of those metal wires and your ball of twine won't be able to fit between the wrapping you've completed and that upcoming wire. That's when you wrap the twine around the cardboard. The flat piece of cardboard will easily fit in the space where the ball of yarn couldn't, like in the tutorial picture above, and you can continue wrapping without leaving a gap. Hope that helps!

• GeorgiaBulldogsFan
    GeorgiaBulldogsFan

Adding the rope texture to your shade made the lamp look completely different! I like to use the jute rope in many ways in my home. Great job!

• Nancy
    Nancy

My mom did a lampshade back in the 70's by wrapping white and then black then went back and pulled 6 strands of black and tied them together in the middle. It kinda had these black hourglasses running around the shade. 😂