How to Make a Yard Art Heart From Old China and Slate.

3 materials
$8

Trying different ways to cheer up the mood, bring love, colour and cheer to life as well as the garden is always a passion of mine, so when I saw these lovely natural grey thick flat slate hearts i thought they could do with a bit of something extra to bring them to life!

how to make a yard art heart from old china and slate, Slate heart
Slate heart

I already had some only vintage broken china so started thinking which pieces to cut and smooth and what design. A decide on a simple flower printed template that I found online which seemed to fit .

how to make a yard art heart from old china and slate, Flower template
Flower template

I use PVA glue to stick the printed paper template onto the slate.

I make sure it is central on the slate and allow to dry. Then using a pair of wheeled tile nippers I cut some pieces of old broken crockery that seem to have interesting colours and patterns. I shape them into petals and a centre piece round and two leaves.

how to make a yard art heart from old china and slate, Broken crockery
Broken crockery
how to make a yard art heart from old china and slate, Cutting plates
Cutting plates

I decide to smooth the edges of the china crockery petals and leaves with a mini hand drill with a carbide grinding stone attachment that just whizzes the rough bits to be smooth and pretty.

how to make a yard art heart from old china and slate, Using a grinding stone to smooth edges
Using a grinding stone to smooth edges

The pieces come together and look how I want to display them and I do choose some plain pieces of china to blend with the florals.

I stick into place around the template with PVA glue.

how to make a yard art heart from old china and slate, Pva glue onto template
Pva glue onto template
how to make a yard art heart from old china and slate, Centre piece glued
Centre piece glued

I keep filling in the flower with the lovely china pieces and try and make sure I choose pieces that are similar heights. it begins to come together nicely. Choosing textures and colours to compliment is the fun bit.

how to make a yard art heart from old china and slate, Stick china petals
Stick china petals
how to make a yard art heart from old china and slate, China leaf
China leaf

I cut and stick the china leaves and stem which I chose from a green patterned plate. I put it all to one side to dry after checking and wiping off carefully the residue glue.

Next onto grouting the centre. It is a little messy to do but needs a bit of fixing and tidying so the paper template and gaps don’t show. I use ready mix black grout and work into the centre gaps then wipe off excess with wet wipes and leave to dry.

how to make a yard art heart from old china and slate, Grouting centre
Grouting centre
how to make a yard art heart from old china and slate, Wipe off excess
Wipe off excess

I’m so happy with the results!

how to make a yard art heart from old china and slate, Mosaic flower heart
Mosaic flower heart
how to make a yard art heart from old china and slate, Mosaic flower garden art
Mosaic flower garden art

Questions on this post

Your question...
  1 question

Comments

4 of 6 comments
Next