Scrabble, Fridge Magnet Version

$5

Scrabble is my all time favorite game to play. In my childhood I learned how to play various board games including classics like Checkers, Chess, and Monopoly. Sometimes we played them over and over because— well, when it is winter in South Dakota and you don’t have a television, a computer, cell phones, or the internet, there isn’t much else to do!

As I grew older I realized that I don’t care for board games that are group games. I like more one on one type games (because I like one-on-one conversations, too– I am one of those mixed up extroverted introverts). And while Scrabble is not one-on-one, it is close enough for me!

Recently I was thrilled when my 8 year old son wanted to play Scrabble with me. It was my dream come true! Scrabble obviously involves a lot of spelling, so if you don’t enjoy spelling, you won’t enjoy Scrabble. While we played, I realized how much Math is involved, but we won’t tell my son about that!

When I see a giant Scrabble game online, it makes me smile.

I like seeing crafts made with Scrabble pieces, too. So when I see Scrabble games at yard sales or thrift stores, I started buying them for crafts. I even bought a French version! It has different number values for the letters. Eventually I felt like I had enough extra games to craft with them.

This is my idea for a Fridge Magnet Scrabble Game! This would also work if you just wanted a fun way to display a Scrabble game. Just wait until you see how I attached it to the fridge!

What you'll need

*** Xyron Creative Station Lite*** -- it operates without electricity!

You will also need a Scrabble board game that you can disassemble.

I had several Scrabble games from yard sales just for crafting with!

I used boiling water/ steam to loosen the paper off of the game board. It took at least 45 minutes.

Half of it is loose! I used a lot of patience so I wouldn't tear the paper.

Clear plastic wrap held the paper on my fridge with static!

No tape or anything else was used. To cover the plastic edges, I made a border of magnets

by using my Xyron laminator/magnetizer.

Roll the paper through the rollers without electricity!!

It laminates and magnetizes at the same time! My paper cutter trimmed the edges.

I used cheap free magnets from telephone books but they were not strong enough

So I purchased stronger magnets and attached them with hot glue.

Now we can play Scrabble on our fridge, or leave each other messages.

I could put this in a picture frame with sheet metal behind it, instead of on the fridge.

***Want to see more of my Crafty Ideas? Here they are!!***

I even have these cute little score pads. I laminated it so it can be reused with a marker.

The other side has a cute miniature Scrabble board on it.

Scrabble is my favorite game!

This would be a fun New Year's activity.

I hope you have enjoyed another project from B4 and Afters!

Have you ever crafted anything with Scrabble pieces?

14 DIY Must-Haves For All Camping Trips
Use Your Old Corks For These 25 Clever Ideas
Upcycle Your Old Clothing Items For These Great Ideas!
Valentine's Day Is Getting Closer! Get Ready With These Lovely Ideas
Quick Easter Egg Ideas That Are Just Too Cute
Liberty Brammer

• Mames
    Mames

I love this idea. Where do you put the extra tiles that you are not using? Do people draw them out of a container?

• Nan
    Nan

Don't you just LOVE thrift stores?!

• Cmarie
    Cmarie
    Yesterday

You hit the nail on the head with this nostalgic recycle of my Scrabble childhood dream! Love it and it will be something I will look forward to as I rummage through thrift and garage sales in the future!

Thank you,

Caryl

ps Might even be looking for Boggle in the near future!

• Dee Gonyea
    Dee Gonyea

A color copy of the board may be another option, instead of peeling the paper off. I'm not sure I'd have the patience to do that!

• Liberty Brammer
      Liberty Brammer

Dee, I guess I could have gone to an office store to get a larger copy-- the board is much too large for a regular copier. And I'm not sure about copyright laws.... the office store may refuse to copy it? Not sure....

• Kelly-Sue
    Kelly-Sue

love it !! I am the only scrabble lover in my house. but I've used the tiles and racks to make name plates for my grandkids to put in their rooms, those they like