Turn A Wooden Korean War Ammunition Box Into A Little Desk

$50

My sweet Dad was stationed in the Air Force in Texas during World War 2. For as long as I can remember he had this ammunition box, which my hubby Steve says is from the Korean War based on the markings. I have no idea where Dad got it but I found it in our attic a few weeks ago.

I just had to do something with this treasure. Honestly, I had to look everywhere around the house to find the perfect spot: our walls are all full of art, baskets, and bookshelves. In my work studio I found the perfect narrow wall.

Supplies jack chain, eye hooks, small nail, 3" deck screws

Tools nippers or pliers, hammer, drill, stud finder

STEP 1 - MEASURE AND CUT THE CHAIN

Set the box on a table so that the angle of the box and the lid is at 90 degrees so it will create a perfectly flat surface when hung. (We propped up the box at the back to make it square for measuring.) Decide where you want the chain to be on the box, measure it, and use nippers to cut it. Cut 2 pieces.

STEP 2 - ADD THE EYE HOOKS

Use a small nail to tap in a pilot hole for the eye hooks. Twist the hook into the hole. Repeat for all four hooks.

Then open the last loop of each end of the chain. Loop the chain into the hook. Use the nippers to close up the gap in the chain.

Done!

HANG IT UP!

To hang the little desk on the wall, Steve measured to find the center of the wall and the center of the desk. We marked the top of where I wanted the desk to be, and he used a stud finder to locate the studs. He used two 3" deck screws to anchor the desk into the studs securely.

I cannot believe I waited so long to do something with this sweet little piece of history in memory of Dad. I know he is smiling down on us, pleased with the result!

I hope you'll join me on my blog for more projects at https://debbiedionhayescreative.com/blog/!

Cuddling Up At Home With A Bottle Of Wine? Then Try These Projects!
3 Cute Step-by-Step Ideas For Unique Planters
15 Awesome Projects To Get You Ready For St. Patrick's Day
Hometalk's Top 20 DIY Crafts For Kids
Dollar Store Gem Backsplash
Debbie Dion Hayes Creative

• Flipturn
    Flipturn

Debbie,

Don't give the Barbies away until you check on eBay and see what some of the older dolls and accessories are priced at these days! You might just have some gemstones up in that attic!

• Lori
    Lori

Love your furry supervisor...such a good idea!