How to Quickly and Easily Recover an Old Storage Cube

$10

If you have one of these old, tired storage cubes at home it's time to give it a new life. All you need is some fabric and a staple gun and your storage cube can look unique and fresh in under an hour.

My tired and worn storage cube is really invaluable in my living room. I use it as a tray, for storage and just about anything else I need it to be. It has seen better days but I just can't stand parting with it so it was time for a little refresh.

To give this handly little cube a new life, I started by removing the lid. There are usually just a couple of pieces of hardware holding it in place that are easily undone with a screwdriver.

With the lid off, I laid the fabric on my dining room table and then laid the cube on top. You want the seam of the fabric (beginning and end) to be at the back of the cube so be sure to start at the appropriate place to make that happen.

To begin attaching the fabric to the cube, I turned the edge of the fabric over the edge of the cube and then secured it in place using a staple gun. I slowly worked my way around the cube until all four sides were covered and I was back to where I began.

Before I added the last couple of staples to the inside lip of the cube, I turned the fabric under to create a nice clean seam at the back of the cube. The fabric will stay folded in place because it will be pulled tight from the staples at the top and bottom.

With the fabric attached to the top of the cube, it was easy to secure it to the bottom. I turned the cube onto its top so that I could access the bottom and begin stapling the fabric to the cube frame. Be sure to pull the fabric taught and smooth as you work your way around the square.

If your cube has wheels like mine, trim the fabric so that it doesn’t interfere with them. This can be done once you have worked your way around the entire frame.

I covered the lid of the cube the same way I would recover a chair seat. You can see tips on  how to do that here…

The trickiest part of the lid is making your corners all look the same. It doesn’t matter how you decide to fold the fabric over the corners, it just matters that you do the same method on all of them.

Once the lid was covered, I just needed to reattach it to the cube frame.

This beautiful fabric completely transformed my handy living room cube and I am completely thrilled that it has a new life and look!

Be sure to check out the original Recreated Designs post at the link below and to see more upcycling projects, check out my new book Recreated Designs - Cottage Projects With a Vintage Flair.

These 21 Bloggers Came Up With The Most Amazing Organization Ideas
Save Your Old Cans For These 31 Home Decor Ideas
21 Stunning Wreaths for The 4th of July
Jazz Up Your Bathroom With These 30 Stylish Additions
Step-by-Step Painting Techniques You'll Want to Try!
31 Update Ideas To Make Your Kitchen Look Fabulous
Recreated Designs

• Craraa
    Craraa

I have one just like that and I would like to try it. Yours came out great. Could you tell me approximately how much fabric you bought.

• Terre Tulsiak
    Terre Tulsiak

Did you add any batting to the top? It seems like the old button would make it sink down in the center otherwise.

• Recreated Designs
    Recreated Designs

Hi Cassandra. I got this fabric from a company online called Spoonflower. I did purchase it a few years ago but they may still have it. They have soo many :) Their fabrics are amazing and I have loved everyone I have purchased.

• GeorgiaBulldogsFan
    GeorgiaBulldogsFan

Great transformation! Love the fabric too! Thanks for the inspiration.