How to Transform Your Old Crockery Into a Beautiful Mirror Frame

$5

I love to recycle old unwanted or broken things to give a new lease of life so when I saw these online blank mirror love heart frames, I new exactly what to do with some old broken crockery.

Blank mirror for crafts

The base is plywood and the mirror is an acrylic one covered with a protective film. I begin by glueing the mirror with PVA glue centrally onto the base.

Glue mirror

Once dry I begin to cut some broken china into small pieces of tile with wheeled tile nippers remembering to wear eye protection against shards.

Wheeled tile nippers

I gather various colours and textures but try and keep the sizes and thickness similar and colours that give a pinky red overall appearance.

start to glue around edge first.

PVA Glue edges

It’s east to stick the lovely little china tiles around the Baird . I mix up the patterns and colours to begin to create a really nice vintage love heart frame.

Stick tiles around edge

Once all the way around I let it dry before the second inside later is done.

Let it dry

ince all the tiles are in position ans leaving the space where drilled holes are for hanging . It’s time to grout. I use ready mixed black grout and use my fingers to work into the gaps although it’s best to wear gloves. When grout is all covered it’s a clean up with wet wipes.

Grouting
Cleaning excess grout off

I peel away the film covering acrylic glass and thread a piece of wire into holes for east hanging.

Peel film off
Hanging wire

I’m so happy with this little heart mirror!

Love mirror
Love heart mirror
Mirror frame made from vintage china

25 Decor Ideas That Will Add Some Spring to Your Home
The Best Industrial Style DIY Ideas For Your Home Using Pipes
30 Fabulous Wreath Ideas That Will Make Your Neighbors Smile
31 Astounding Things You Didn't Know You Could Do With Contact Paper

• Ilv
    Ilv

This is a great way to preserve a broken family "heirloom". My husband just broke 2 of our Fiesta ware mugs. I wish I had hung on to them; because now I can see a piece of wood or old picture frame with the broken pieces grouted and the 2 handles which were not broken with the raw ends glued on for a great hand towel rack. Wish our garbage hadn't just gone out!!

• Susan Goode
      Susan Goode

Thanks and yes it is a super way to give extra life to sentimental loved china 😁

• Cape Codder
    Cape Codder

I’m so excited about this idea! Years ago, some of my beloved vintage chintz china plates were knocked off a rack. I couldn’t part with them, and the broken pieces have since been in a bag in my cellar. I am definitely going to try this one! Thank you!