Asked on Jan 25, 2021

How do I protect my washi tapes from peeling?

Agnes ChrzanowskaMaura WhiteNamaya
+5

Hi there, Im new here, Iam an active journaler and today I found my second washi tape that I can throw away.. :( Before using the washi tape, it doesnt come off easily anymore, its completely glued and I keep peeling them of and damage it. Is it because of the room tempature? I have a stationary box thingie where I keep all my washi tapes. Maybe because they are just cheap? I have no idea.. Would be great to get some advice what to do about this. Thank you!

• Namaya
    Namaya

look :(

• Kathy Gunter Law
    Kathy Gunter Law

It could be humidity and temperature of where you are storing. Also, you mentioned cheap which might mean it is old. I ran across that issue with some clearance peel & stick tile. I had to heat it up to get it to loosen.

• Flipturn
    Flipturn

I agree with Kathy's answer as to why the rolls may be peeling:

-they are cheap quality

-they are too old

-they may have dried out unevenly due to the air temp and humidity

-a combination of all of the above.

Unfortunately, not all washi tape is created equally.

• Annie
    Annie

I Know if they get cold, that can have an effect on the sticky, or if they are old... They just dont make them like they used too. Id try keeping them in a room temp, damp area for a while.. That might help.

• Namaya
    Namaya

Now I understand. I don't have it with all washi tapes and some I have for years. I think it's because they are cheap, they are from the same set. Thank you so much everyone, that really clarified the issue!

• Maura White
    Maura White

Where did you get them if I can ask? Are they cheap ones from china or the more expensive Scotch brand of washi tape? Cheap on Amazon are just that - cheap. But if you spend a bit more, I bet this would not be your experience. I do have cheap ones myself but I store them in my basment where it is cool and dry.

• Namaya
      Namaya

I am not really focused on getting cheap washi tapes. I just get whatever I like, expensive, cheap, but now I see the 'side effects' from the cheaper ones.

I just got it from a local store here, as a set of 20+ for like €3,50 or something. It was great to try out as It was'nt really a sacrifice for me. Later I have seen the same box set on Amazon for really expensive, that was really funny, maybe because Iam ordering from Holland not sure but they were from China definitely. First time this happened so I was really wondering.

Also Last week for the first time I ordered washi tapes on Amazon because I got a christmas gift card to spend there and the washi tapes are really beautiful, strong quality, better then the ones I got locally that are peeling of. Iam really having fun with these smaller washi tapes! Works great for decorating pages without covering everything.

Thank you for your message

• Agnes Chrzanowska
    Agnes Chrzanowska

I am soo happy that you ask about that .. What a valuable info! Thank you