Custom Window Ledge

$25

I have a window above my kitchen sink that just has a painted sill. I probably should have had the tile installed on it but I didn't and the paint is starting to peel and look really bad. Instead of repainting and encountering the same problem later, I decided to build a wooden window ledge.

Here is what the painted ledge looked like before.

I decided to use teak since it holds up well around water. I cut my piece to length and then to width.

Next, I cut a piece from the scrap that would come down over the edge.

I used wood glue and a nail gun to attach the two pieces.

Once the glue was dry I used an orbital sander over the entire piece until it was nice and smooth.

I liked the light wood tone so I skipped the stain and decided to just finish the entire piece with a coat of shellac. I used the spray shellac because it's super easy and convenient. At this point, you can finish the wood however you'd like. 🙂

To get a good seal on the current window ledge I used a bead of silicone caulking all the way around the bottom.

In addition to the silicone, I also nailed the piece on though the top with finish nails. I think this really helped give this area a finished look. You can also get really fancy and encase the entire window with wood if you'd like! (FYI, that will be a future project of mine on some other windows. Coming soon!)

16 Floating Shelves That Will Stun Guests
26 Adorable Ornament Ideas to Get You REALLY Excited for Christmas
15 Ways to Spice up Your Floors
Super Cool Painting Techniques You've Probably Never Seen!
Add A Hint Of Farmhouse Style In Your Home With These Ideas
20 Ways To Incorporate Mosaics Into Your Home

• PJ
    PJ

Yes indeed , but we just moved in to a new house so it will be in the future....Thanks🙏🏽🙏🏽🤙🏾🤙🏾👩‍❤️‍💋‍👨🇺🇸!!!

• Leslie Simpson
    Leslie Simpson

Love this idea!