Dragonfly tutorial using re-purposed materials

How to make a dragonfly from discarded materials. This particular one is made from an old rusted out sign, chair leg and old keys. I used a plasma cutter to cut out wings from old rusted sign. I then primered and painted chair leg. The next thing you do is lay out the wings and drill holes in the metal wings and leg. You will use two 1 inch wood screws per wing. I wanted to do something different for the eyes so I went with old keys and the antennas come from an wire decor item that used to hang on the wall. The final step is to use a clearcoat spray to seal the metal and leg. These look wonderful on porches, in the garden and even in the house! www.facebook.com/repurposedlifeokla
I used a plasma cutter to cut out wings.
Wings cutout with plasma cutter
Drill holes through metal wings and chair leg
Once you have your holes drilled, you will need 1 inch wood screws to attach the wings to the body.
You can attach hanger with top screw.
keys for eyes
Strips of metal attached with a screw and then shaped.
Last step is to spray clearcoat to seal metal and wood.
Here is the finished dragonfly!

Tina @ Repurposed Life

• Ger2484190

What is a plasma cutter?

• Brenda Cooley

It is a welder's tool to cut through metal or purhaps burn through metal

• Buttons

Should fanblades be sanded b4 painting?

• Sharon Hughes

What are the dimensions of finished project?

• Sandy

Can you use plastic blades? Neighbors fan fell from the ceiling, roof leak, can you use plastic blades?

• Cassie

Did you bend the keys upward for the eyes? and what did you use at the end of the tail? It was hard to see these 2 things in the pictures.

I love this dragonfly and I love that its made from old junk and broken materials that most people would just throw a way.

• Tina @ Repurposed Life

HI Cassie! No, I didn't bend the keys I just angled them to and used a screw to hold them in place! The tail is made from an old piece of jewelry. I also used a screw to attach and hold in place! Hope this helps! Have a great weekend!!

• Cassie

• Deb

Very creative and unique

• Diana Deiley

I love dragonflies, I believe they are signs of good luck, good wishes and that someone is thinking of us. (That's just how I choose to think.) Your project is awesome. Thank you for sharing with all of us.

• Tina @ Repurposed Life

I agree with you completely! When I lost my mom, I saw a dragonfly and I believe it was a sign for me! So, I had seen some made out of fan blades but wanted something I could hang outside! Hence the metal dragonflies we make! Thank you and hope you have a wonderful weekend!