Lighten Cork Floor Spot Repair?

+5

I had some scratches from my dogs nails in the cork floor of a home I'm renting. I was able to lightly sand out the scratches, applied clear polyurethane and buffed after dry. But the fresh cork repair is much darker than the surrounding floor, which I'm assuming has been sun bleached over time. It is is very obviously darker and I don't want an upset landlord. Does anyone know how to lighten up the repaired patch?

• Maura White Maura White on Jan 30, 2021

Poly can turn yellowish after it dries. If you use a water-based poly, it is less likely to turn yellow. I'm also wondering how much the cork itself soaked up. If you sand off the poly you applied, does it return to the old color? If so, then maybe try a water-based poly.

• Hmmm...I'm not sure you can lighten up the patched area. You might need to add poly to the entire floor to get the same tone.

• William William on Jan 30, 2021

A photo would help.

• Cynthia H Cynthia H on Jan 31, 2021

Hi! I agree with Kim. If I spot repair anything, I often clean and treat the whole surface, so it blends in. Even on wood furniture, repairs rarely blend in. Good luck and stay safe!

• Dee Dee on Feb 01, 2021

If you have small scratches or dents in your cork floor, address them with an easy spot repair using wood filler.

1. Choose a wood filler that most closely matches the shade of your existing cork flooring. ...
    2. Fill in any dents or scratches using the wood filler and let it dry completely.

• If you haven’t already, you might reach out to a cork flooring manufacturer or reseller, see what their thoughts might be.