Asked on Jan 30, 2021

How to dissolve dust on my aluminum mini blinds?

Becky at Flipping the FlipDeb KKathy Gunter Law
+7

There is dust and grime on the aluminum mini blinds. Dusting no longer is sufficient to clean them. I saw a you tube tutorial where spray oven cleaner was use on the blinds (outside) and washed off with water. Has anyone tried this method?

• Libbie B
    Libbie B

I'm not sure about the oven cleaner but I take them off and use a bleach solution in the bathtub.

• J Brown
    J Brown

if you are taking them down to clean the bath tub is the best option. I use powdered dishwasher detergent. Fill tub with enough HOTEST water and add detergent maybe 1/2 cup or so. Swish water to dissolve detergent and drop in your blinds. Swish the water around them and walk away. Maybe swish again after they have soaked for a while. Drain tub rinse with clear water and stand on end to drain. I drain mine in the tub.

You will be amazed!

• Beth
    Beth

Thanks,

If dishwashing detergent can rid of grease and food on dishes, seems reasonable that it might help my blinds.

• I used vinegar and water on mine. Worked like a charm.

William

I would not use oven cleaner on aluminum blinds. It can react with the aluminum and really destroy them. I suspend mine over the tub. Spray them down with a multi purpose cleaner the rinse them with the hand held shower head.

• Kathy Gunter Law
    Kathy Gunter Law

I would not use oven cleaner unless you have a mild one like Norwex. I think degreaser would work much better.

• Deb K
    Deb K

Hi Beth, I remove the blinds in the closed position, take them outside, use a homemade Mix in a spray bottle 1/4 cup of white vinegar with 2 and 1/2 cups of water, plus 1/2 teaspoon of Dawn dish detergent. Or use a cleaner you like, I use spray 9, lay them out and spray the cleaner on them. I only leave the spray 9 on for about 1-2 minutes, but a weaker cleaner may need longer. Pull out your garden hose and put it on the rain fall spray, and rinse until the water runs clear, I lay them over a lounger or bench to dry, which is very fast in the summer. Any remaining marks, respray and repeat . Hope this helps you out!

• Use some TSP substitute mixed with water in a spray bottle then wipe off. Super easy.