Paper Mache Bowl

$0

This project is great for all ages. I actually found it very relaxing too!!

Right now my bowl is filled with faux pears but I could see a faux fern in there too!

First you must find a bowl that doesn’t have a lip or edge on it. You will need to slip your “paper” bowl off when it’s dry so you don’t want any weird edges.

First step is to wrap the bowl in Saran Wrap. Be sure to bring it over the edge as well. You don’t want any of your deco podge sticking to the actual bowl, only the Saran Wrap.

Cut strips of news paper. I would just cut enough for each layer. But you could certainly cut up a lot from the start.

I diluted my midge podge with some water. About 3 to 1 ratio and poured into a separate bowl. Dip one strip in at a time and remove excess mixture. You don’t want it dripping.

Place one strip on at a time trying to press out wrinkles. I brought my strips up over the inside edge just a little. You will trim that off later.

I did three layers of newspaper letting each layer dry before adding the next. Once completely dry trim the inner edge and slip the paper bowl off. You may need to poke a couple holes in the bottom so it slips off easier.

I used my hands and spread joint compound all around this inside and outside of my bowl. This part was experimental but it definitely made the bowl sturdier and gave it a “artsie” look.

i let this dry overnight and added a second layer the next day. If you have a small fan on it, it will dry much faster.

I took the dried bowl outside and gave it a good spray of paint. This helps seal the compound so that when you brush your final color on it’s not flaking off.

At this point it looks like a chocolate bowl. Lol

I used fusion mineral paint in the color “plaster”. I painted the entire bowl inside and out.

I then wrapped scrap fabric around the end of a marker and dipped in gold paint to get the polka dot look.

I will probably spray it with a clear matte spray to protect it.

So there you are a piece of faux pottery that can cost literally nothing if you have a few supplies on hand.

12 Christmas Home Tours You're SO Going To Fall For
31 Storage Hacks That Will Instantly Declutter Your Kitchen
15 Cute Ways To Decorate Tin Cans Into Planters
These Bathroom Makeovers Might Inspire You To Update Your Own
15 Genius Hacks to Keep Pests Away

• Rose
    Rose

If that orange blossom bowl is an original, it is worth a pretty penny!

• Cindy
    Cindy

I love this idea! Very creative! Super pretty, I’ll be making one of these!