Countertop Revamp

8 materials
$425
Advanced

I was lucky enough to design and build my own house about 11 years ago. I decided to go with concrete countertops in the kitchen because I loved the modern industrial look and it was also fairly cost efficient. Well, the people that did my counters didn't do the best job and we started having issues with them about 5 years in. The finish started peeling off, especially around the kitchen sink. I got a couple of bids for new countertops but they were VERY expensive and they also said that a new counter couldn't be put in without removing and replacing the backslash. So... we decided to do them ourselves with epoxy!

Here's a picture of what the counters used to look like. They looked decent from far away but up close they were pretty bad.

We started by taking the sealer off and there was a lot ot trial and error with this step. In some areas it came off with extremely little effort but other areas proved to be a lot trickier.

One of the best tools we found were these little hand held scrapers with razor blades. It really helped to replace the blades every so often when they started getting dull. We also experimented with sand paper, acetone, lemon essential oil, and even a torch to help remove the sealer from the areas we had a hard time with. The oil seemed to work the best for helping to remove the stubborn spots.

The absolute best advice I have for anyone doing a similar project is to take the extra time to be completely prepared with ALL of the materials and tools you may need. Watch a lot of tutorials and plan out exactly how you will go about the process and write your steps down to refer back to. I've used epoxy before on a small countertop that I covered in fabric and then coated with epoxy but this project was much larger and a lot more intimidating lol!

We started by taping off all of the cabinets and the floor and cleaning the raw concrete with acetone. The first step in the process was to cover the counter in a skim coat of clear epoxy since concrete is pourus. The skim coat is just meant to seal the concrete and is a lot thinner than the main coat will be. We allowed it to cure overnight.

We decided to start with the small section of counter between the fridge and the range so we could get a feel for the products. It's extremely important to calculate the amount of material you will need for each space and follow the directions exactly as they are laid out for you. This small area was a success! Also, be prepared for a lot of product to drip over the edge. This is a necessary step to get proper coverage on your vertical surfaces.

The rest of the counter space was all connected so we needed a lot more material for that second and final pour. It was also a lot more difficult to get it exactly how we wanted since you only have a certain amount of time to work with it once you mix it. It was definitely a stressful experience!

Here are some after pictures!! Even though it's not perfect, we are super happy with the results and will be using this method again in other areas of the house. We went with the brand Countertop Epoxy and are very happy with it but there are many different products out there to chose from.

I hope you enjoyed following along with this little makeover! It does take some planning and a little skill but I highly suggest you consider it as an option if you are in need of new counters. It was a tiny fraction of the price compared to all new counters and so far they have proven to be very durable. Also, the color options and details are pretty much endless so you can get as custom and crazy as you'd like! For more fun projects, check out my Instagram!

Instagram.com/beautymark_furniture

Questions on this post

3 of 6 questions

Comments

18 comments
Next