How to DIY a Barn Door

$400
Advanced

When we bought this house I really wanted a barn door. We have 9 interior doors in our house not including closet doors and this was the only spot I could add one. Better than nothing right, lol. So I was like, go big or go home! This door is massive in person and very heavy. Everything you want in a barn door. Who wants a flimsy and tiny barn door?

Above is the before picture of the space. This was actually the final step to our laundry room remodel. I have all previous steps posted already. You can find the link to the first step at the end of this post.

Supply list:

1. 6 Primed MDF 4"X96"
  2. 4 Primed MDF 2 1/2"X96"
  3. 7 Primed MDF 6"96"
  4. Door Hardware
  5. Door knob
  6. 1 1/2" Screws
  7. Wood glue
  8. Paint ( I used Gauntlet Gray by sherwin Williams)

Tools:

1. Electric Drill
  2. Sander
  3. The best paint sprayer or paint supplies
  4. Chop saw
  5. router with 1/4" bit

Make the frame

I told my husband that I wanted a simple shiplap looking barn door so he just came up with this design on the fly, he's cool like that. lol Our door frame is a standard size door but make sure your barn door covers not only the opening but also the door trim when its closed. That's how he came up with these measurements. He took a 2 1/2" board and laid it on the top of a 4" board but to one side. He's going to create a frame for the soon to be shiplap boards. He first glued them together then used his nail gun to secure. The door is so heavy that you want to take ever measure to make sure it stays put. He made the two sides at 96" and the top and bottom of the door frame at 31" using his chop saw to cut the right length.

So there are three layers to this door frame. Once you have the 2 1/2" board in place you place another 4" board on top to create a pocket for the shiplap to sit it. He secures the 3 boards together using the screws every 12" or so.

Above the frame is not secure yet. We had to put the shiplap 6" boards in first. Currently, in the picture below he just has one shiplap board in. They are what will secure the bottom and top piece to the sides.

For the shiplap 6" boards he cut to fit exactly inside the frame. He doesn't rememberer the exact measurement. Then with a router he used a 1/4" bit to router the edges of the 6" boards to create that shiplap look and definition. You do this to both side of the board so you see it on both sides. Something we forgot to do. crap. No pictures.

So the far left board is fitting nice and snug in the frame. He then used 4 screws to attach the frame to the shiplap board. Once all the pieces are in and the end pieces are screwed to the frame, this bad boy isn't going anywhere. Kinda genius if you ask me.

Another angle

Here it is all put together!

He took a 2 1/2" scrap piece to add some character to the middle of the door on both sides. Its about 31" long but make sure to measure for the exact length. He just glued it down.

We used wood filler to patch up all the screw holes and the sides so that once painted it looks like one solid piece.

Once the wood filler is dry he sanded it all down.

We used an electric paint sprayer to paint it. This paint sprayer is amazing and works really well. Very budget friendly. This is the second door he has painted and came out flawless. I wasn't home when he sprayed it so I wasn't able to take pictures unfortunately.

Paint sprayer linked here.

I did manage to get some photos of him installing the handle which I must say is such nice heavy duty quality and so affordable. You will be shocked at the price.

Above is the back side of the handle. once the brackets are mounted you just screw the handle right in. Easy peasy.

In order for the door to not interfere with the door jam we installed this board first before adding the hardware. The hardware does come with instructions and is easy to install. It also includes the little stopper at the bottom so the the door rolls smoothly.

Grab Some Pool Noodles And Copy These 3 Ideas
Upgrade Your Backyard With These 30 Clever Ideas
31 Astounding Things You Didn't Know You Could Do With Contact Paper
13 DIY Projects That Scream Canada
3 Weird Step-by-Step Ways to Decorate Your Plain Tea Towels
Update Your Plain Dishes With These Adorable Ideas
Easy DIY Ideas To Add Some FUN To Your Office Space

• Patti
    Patti

We’re going to do this on our Master bath suite. Thanks so much for the clear and easy to understand instructions. BTW what would you estimate the total cost of this project not including tools?

thanks for posting!

• Lori
      Lori

We did a barn door on our master bath too - which I love - but my hubby put a side edge piece (using the same trim as our baseboards) to add privacy since it’s on a bathroom. Now there’s no peeking thru the edges and it looks great.

• Jeannine Bohannan
    Jeannine Bohannan

Why not just use the door you took off?

• Kimberly Ferreira
      Kimberly Ferreira

However, this one they made pretty gigantic. When doing a standard barn door u lay the track directly above, almost right on top of the original door frame. I dont know if they were going for a larger effect but for explaining purposes.... Even then if u use the regualr door u will have a 4-6 inch gap of space at the bottom of the door to the floor. Thats why u usually build a barn door and because the regular door is not a barn door look, lol... But i imagine u could use the regular door if u prefer to have all the doors match and just maybe glue & bond a 2 inch board (or smaller or larger depending how many inches remain at the bottom gap if hung and then divide by 2 and subtract about a quarter or 8th of an inch and make ur boardss to bond that long for example.. If the gap is 4 inches djvide by 2 u get 2 iches so each board for too and bottom would need to be 2 inches, but u wanna subtract about an 8th to a quarter inch on each one to leave space so its not snug to the floor and scraping it and for any weathering that happens to it)... Do that to the top and the bottom of the door to make it long enought but also keep it A-symmetrical for the most part... I mean u could get right down to perfection and also do the same to the sides of the door as well so u keep it 100% A-symmetrical. Also keep in mind, if u use ur original door u also have to fill the holes where the door knob and hardware were to make it a solid door and place ur new pull hardware. All that work its just better off building one i feel, lol 😉 I also would keep my barn door track right atop my original door frame to keep it basically the same height as the rest of my doors rather than it be much larger throw the look off a bit, especially if there are other smaller doors near it to use as comparison.. If it was the only door in the area then u could get away with it.. But that just me, im OCD when it comes to Asymmetry haha, To each their own 😉 Hope i helped anyone interrested in doing a DIY Barn door 😁👍

• Elaine Seegars
    Elaine Seegars

It really looks awesome, did a good job. Wondering is the back side of the door painted chip board?

• Sharon
      Sharon

I was wondering the same but I think the chipboard is the table.

• Margie
    Margie

Beautiful ❤️

• Gloria
    Gloria

We just did a 15 pane exterior door in our finished basement. We are going to frost the glass.