Drop Cloth Closet Curtain | No Door Necessary

$60

Do you have a door-less closet keeping your room from looking tidy and put together? In this bedroom makeover, I'll share how I used molding and a drop cloth to completely transform the cluttered closet and give this room a classy new look.

Now, it's not that this closet wasn't doing it's job, as a clutter container it get's a gold star. The problem here was that the mess was still visible. Usually, there is a reason we put things in a closet, and that's because we don't want to see this stuff laying around our house. For this room to really be a relaxing retreat, we needed a way to conceal the storage. This is how we came up with the budget friendly idea to use a drop cloth curtain.

To begin, I cut out three identical blocks from 2x4 lumber. Each block was 4 inches long and I drilled a 1/2 inch hole through the middle to accommodate my 1/2 inch conduit that will act as a curtain rod. You can find these steps demonstrated more clearly in the video.

I then screwed these blocks into wall studs above the closet, and fished my conduit "curtain rod" through the holes. You can purchase curtain rings that actually open and can be slipped onto the pole, or you can slide the rings onto the pole before you put it into place.

Next, I nailed molding onto the blocks to hide the pole and the curtain hanging hardware. I easily slipped my hands behind the molding to clip the drop cloth into place.

I used and extra large 15 x 12 foot drop cloth for this project which I got from White Duck Outdoor. It was a nice heavy 10oz material that hangs nicely like actual drapery. You can get a 5% discount on this website by using the code SIMPLELIVING.

This is such a quick way to hide the ugly and give your space a clean new look. Hanging the curtains closer up to the ceiling also adds height to the room and makes the space seem larger.

I did end up cutting my drop cloth curtain in half for a center opening curtain, but this is totally optional. If you like more of a seamless look, you could leave the drop cloth in one piece.

Check out the video for the full tutorial.

15 Decor Projects That Will Make Your Home Beautiful
Heather Cammack

• Darlin
    Darlin

I love this idea with the wood blocks and the rod. But I love the industrial design, I think I'm going to use your idea for my two bedroom windows and an open closet. I think I'm going to either stain or paint the wood blocks tho and leave the industrial look open. Thank you so much for the idea... 🙂

• Kaci
    Kaci

Good job! You can use a fabric steamer on that drop cloth to steam out the wrinkled fabric to take away the "rumpled" look and make it look more finished. Smart idea to use a heavy-duty drop cloth to be able to have enough yardage to get enough fabric to achieve the full-length (ceiling to floor) look. Since there was already a "header" for the closet, another option is to use the hardware available at IKEA with heavy duty wire, instead of a rod, and the IKEA hardware mounts on the ceiling or on the wall, and has clips similar to what you used. If you don't own the house, and don't want to drill into the walls, you could use a tension rod inside the opening framed out for the closet and hang the fabric from that.