DIY Standing Bunny Reclaimed Pallet Wood

2 materials
$2

Spring is a time of new beginnings; for this reason, as soon as the temperatures start to warm up, I start new projects such as DIY crafts, gardening, and cooking. I had a stack of pallets, so I decided to make a pallet wood project; I also wanted it to be an easy project. I know how much fun my pallet bunny has brought my spring and Easter decor, so I wanted to make some to share.

See how to make a gorgeous bow HERE.

A DIY standing bunny from pallet wood would be a fun DIY Easter project. Therefore I made a pattern from the bunny I made last year. These standing bunnies are perfect to greet my family and guests. Therefore, I know these will make someone else happy too.

Wooden Easter Bunnies are the perfect Easter pallet woodcraft project.

This Easter bunny decoration project only takes a few minutes to build from the reclaimed pallet wood, however, taking apart the pallet does add another 10 minutes to the overall time.

How to Build a DIY Standing Easter Bunny

Supplies and Tools:

• Reclaimed pallet

• Wood glue

• 1/2 staples

• Battens (cut from a scrap 2 x 4)

• 10″ base (cut from a scrap 2 x 4)

• Drill

• Drill bit (countersink)

• Stapler

• Band saw

• Sandpaper

• Chalk paint

• Chalk paintbrush

• Wood pencil

• Measuring tape

After gathering your supplies and tools, you can start building your Easter bunny decoration.

Reclaimed wood pallets

Assembling the bunny is especially easy if you set up a table since you need a flat surface to layout the pallet wood. I used boards placed over a sawhorse as my work surface.

Reclaimed pallet wood

Using the bunny pattern/template to determine where to place the smaller and larger pieces with attention to the bunny pattern placement.

Tracing the bunny pattern on the wood

Once I traced the bunny pattern on the wrong side of the pallet wood, I used applied wood glue between the boards.

Gluing the boards together

Support Battens

Using a piece of scrap 2 x 4, I ripped them to make the support battens.

Adding battens to back of bunny wood

The batten placement is determined by placing them over the traced DIY pallet bunny (pieced of scrap wood), starting at the bottom of the bunny to above the ears' tip.

Adding glue before adding the battens

The batten wood gives the bunny support, so adding them is very important to allow the bunny to stand up straight. Using wood glue in the area where the battens will be attached coupled with stapling and adding two screws will keep your Easter bunny decoration in a straight standing position for years. Moreover, if you are placing your bunny outside, be sure to use waterproof wood glue.

Staple the battens

Staple the battens in place, being particularly careful not to place any over the cut lines. I like to trace the ear cut lines over the battens before taking it to the saw.

Marking the top of the bunny ears on battens

For extra support, I add two wood screws on both battens into the bottom board coupled with the staples and wood glue; this forms a stable wood bunny.

Add two screws to the bottom board.

The next step is cutting it out with a band saw; as a rule, I wear eye protection when operating woodworking tools.

Cut out the bunny with a band saw.

Note: I gathered up all the wood scraps; as a result, I have enough for another scrap wood project, such as Easter eggs too.

For the bunny's bottom or base, I used a scrap wood 2 x 4 cut to 10″ then I marked the screw placement. To begin with, I drilled countersink holes for the screws.

Marking the placement for the bunny

Note: It is easier to paint the bunny before adding the stand.

Screwing the base to the bunny

The next step is to add the two wood screws into the base.

Finishing the Pallet Bunnies with Chalk Paint

How you finish your bunnies depends on if you want to leave it rustic and unfinished or sanded a little and chalk painted. Another equally important question is will your bunny be outside and possibly get wet? If you like the look of unfinished wood and using the bunny inside, you are finished; however, if you are using it outside, you would need to use this type of water protective finish.

Chalk painting bunny

Easter craft wood bunnies

Easy pallet projects are fun to do together. Kids can join you for this scrap wood DIY craft by allowing them to trace the bunny pattern, paint, make the bow, and decorate them.

Reclaimed Wood Easter Bunnies With Buffalo Check Bows

These easy DIY home decor projects are inexpensive beginner woodworking projects anyone can build. The one-board-bench the bunny is standing on is another one of my woodworking easy projects for beginners.

Reclaimed Easter Bunny with ribbon bow

Thank you for your visit today.

See you soon,

Kippi

Kippi | Kippi At Home

Questions on this post

Comments

9 comments
Next