Hiding A Detail With A No-Sew Curtain Valance

1 Material
$10

Is there a detail in your kitchen that you don’t like, but can’t change? Here’s an easy DIY, hiding a detail with a no-sew curtain valance.

Above the sink in our kitchen is a detail that I don’t care for in the least. It’s a wavy strip of wood that connects cabinets together or ties them together. Anyway, it runs  between two cabinets, and I’m not a big fan of wavy. It looks dated to me. And when I say dated, I mean not in a good way.

I’ve thought about just cutting it out. That theory seems simple and a quick fix. But, the more I looked into it, checked everything out, there’s a lot more than that entails. I just don’t want to tackle right now. Bless this old house. If we cut it out, then we have to deal with other things and then there’s a whole lotta yadda yadda yadda.

In the meantime, I just want to blend it in and make it work.

My train of thought was like this – if I could make something that would hide the wavy wood, or make it blend in such a way, I would be golden. For now. A small design fix that could carry the kitchen until we could really spend the time and effort to correct the sitch.

What I came up with was a valance. One with no pleats, no ruffles, just straight and to the point. True, I did have some heart palpitations about sewing and all that, but I opted for another route. Trying to leave all that bobbin debacle out of the equation.

Lord knows…

I turned to my good friend, seam binding tape. It’s like a true life stand-in and packs a strong punch. Simple to use; like, really simple. Almost makes me question even breaking out the sewing machine.

I love me a no-sew project!

With the new tile install, which, looks amaze-balls, I needed a valance that complimented the pattern, and didn’t compete. Bring in the same color scheme, but play a little with pattern. Not too much though, because the tile needs to be the star of the show. This valance needed to be a quiet understudy.

A quick trip to the fabric store, some seam binding tape and a yard of fabric later, that’s all it takes for a valance.

I already had the spring rod, so all I needed to do was cut the fabric, seam bind the hems and I was good to go.

Measure for an allowance, fold, bind, and iron. Y’all, it’s that simple. Totally serious. I kept the raw edges about a half inch so I could fold over and iron for the seams. Ten minutes all in. No bobbin hassle what so ever, TG.

Certainly, later on in life I would like to take on this weird wavy thing, but in the meantime, the valance hides it, and blends it in with the pattern. Absolutely buys me some time on the bigger scheme project. Fine for now, I’m downright pleased. Knowing that, with even the best intentions, projects around here are never quick, this one bought me some time.

For the record, and I mean no disrespect, Sean didn’t even notice. Even when pointed out, he didn’t even notice the wavy strip after 10 years of living here. Yeah, alright, maybe I’m just up against myself, but this gal’s attention to detail is hiding the wavy for a rainy day later on.

The Cutest Ways to Decorate Your Front Porch for Easter!
31 Brilliant Ways To Repurpose Everyday Items Into Perfect Organizers
13 Bird Feeders From Upcycled Items
30 Jewelry Organizing Ideas That Are Better Than a Jewelry Box
Try These Gorgeous Ideas And The Mailman Will Never Miss Your Mailbox!
15 Perfectly Round Tables
Brooke Fedigan

• Sandy
    Sandy

How did you finish the scalloped edge at the top?

• Carol West
      Carol West

She hung the rod behind the wavy rod so it appears part of the valance. Cool

• Lisa West
    Lisa West

I thought you were covering the waving accent wood price. I'm confused. Looks great though. Why don't you paint the cabinets? I would he a weekend project. Pick a color you love and maybe cut the way accent board, just the wavy part so its flat, turn it in to a shelf if some sort.

• Suzanne
    Suzanne

It sure turned out nice. I have the scalloped wood valance over my sink and can't stand it. I must be stupid, because I have looked at the picture (blown up so I can see it better), and still cannot figure out what has been done here. Was the wavy side of the valance on the bottom (like mine is) or were the waves on the top? Did you take it out and turn it upside down? Been trying to figure how this was done for 2 days and it just doesn't make sense. I've been looking at my wood valance since 1978 and I guess it won! Enjoy your window's new look!

• Julie
      Julie

Suzanne, I was confused also at first. I thought the whole time I was reading that she was going to put the valance in front of the wood piece and therefore hide it.

Actually, the cloth is hanging against the window and has straight edges top and bottom, but the color & pattern she chose coordinates so well with the color of the wood that it appears the wavy wood valance is part of the cloth valance as can be seen along the top edge of the picture. Instead of completely hiding it, it just camouflages it. Very clever!

• Lisa Summer
    Lisa Summer

I think you did an amazing job camouflaging the wavy board with your choice in material. I think it was wise not to remove the board. I’m going to try the no sew valance.

• JAR24392872
      JAR24392872

Gee, I thought the choice of fabric fought the backsplash. I would have gone for something plainer and picked up one of the colors of the backsplash. That is why there are so many flavors of ice cream I guess.

• Christine Ewing
    Christine Ewing

I had a similar piece in my old house. But I was lucky and just removed it because it was attached with a couple of screws I could get to on the inside of the cabinets. My husband didn't notice it either. I didn't point it out to him for over a week. Great project.