Washcloth To Bath Mitt, Easy Peasy DIY

1 Material
$20

Do you want to know how to turn a washcloth to a bath mitt? I have the easy peasy DIY that will take less than five minutes to sew.

I’m going to go straight out of the gate and tell y’all that I’m a washcloth user. Some could care less for washcloths and are more of a rub-the-soap-on-type. But not me. I dig the cloths and better yet, I really prefer washcloth mitts. And, since they’re not readily available here, I decided I would go ahead and make my own. Makes perfect sense – there’s a bastion of washcloth colors and patterns out there, I can make my own custom washcloth mitts, no probs, and I decided on these grey ombre ones, and these white ones. 

Of course, there’s a good back story with the whole sewing thing….

Way back eight years ago when I decided to write this DIY lifestyle blog, I figured it would be a good idea to invest in a sewing machine. Although I got a D+ in Home Ec sewing (whatever, Mrs. Bonk), I thought that I needed to embrace a straight seam and overcome whatever sewing issues I had. I bought a Singer starter number, and it was perched on the bottom shelf of my design table, with a cover over it.

I did uncover machine last spring and rocked out some curtain panels for our back porch.

And I did manage to hem a pair of pants that’s actually passable.

But no project goes without a hitch, natch. For some reason, I have ZERO retention in the bobbin threading area. Of course on the rare occasion when I pull that sewing machine out, I need to change out the tread, therefore changing the bobbin, yadda, yadda, yadda, I end up on Youtube for what seems like forever. So when I decided to sew these washcloth mitts, it had been long enough (maybe a couple months) I needed to refresh my memory. Again.

Y’all, it wasn’t clicking. The thread has to go in this teeny tiny opening and go around counterclockwise, and it just wasn’t threading. Even with my contacts and a pair of cheaters, I couldn’t find that little opening. I was squinting and asking Mac (who has the best vision ever) to come in and find said teeny opening. All I got from him was a WTH look; one like he had a bazillion other things to do than decipher a sewing machine. So I watched a YouTube video, and would try again. YouTube video, try again. Repeat.

Finally, I don’t even know how I did it, but I got the thing threaded, and turned those washcloths into mitts.

That process was simple: measure (I decided an 8-inch mitt was the perfect size), cut, fold in half and sew on two sides, turn inside out.

So, just to put things in perspective, it took me 4 minutes and 18 seconds to sew six mitts. If you’re one that can thread a bobbin in a blink of an eye, this is the fastest DIY ever. If I didn’t have all that bobbin drama to contend with, I wouldn’t have spent the hour and 10 lookin at YouTube.

Eye roll emoji.

Seriously, this is an easy peasy DIY, and you get custom washcloth mitts to boot.

This post contains affiliate links.

22 Homemade Soaps You Can Give As Gifts All Year Round
15 Clever Repurposing Ideas That Will Add Some Creativity to Your Home
31 Astounding Things You Didn't Know You Could Do With Contact Paper
31 Storage Hacks That Will Instantly Declutter Your Kitchen
31 Creative Ways To Fill Empty Wall Space
Brooke Fedigan

• Sara shaver
    Sara shaver

So you were so busy telling us you don’t like to sew that there were no directions. Do you cut a washcloth in ha and use only a half? The photo says cut on the line. What line?

• Caroline Blair
      Caroline Blair

I'd fold the washcloth in half, sew across one end & up the long side. The top would be left open for your hand. If mitt is too big, sew it smaller next to previous sewing lines.

I'd not turn inside out, though u can. I'd only cut off excess if I had sewn next to previous line OR overcasted the final project. It will Ravel a lot once cut.

• Cathie
    Cathie

If its folded why sew on both sides? A finished picture would have been grand to see instead of showing a few folded washcloths

• Mary Monts
      Mary Monts

I think you would Adlai have to sew across the top or you would just have a tube, right? 😃

• Mary Monts
    Mary Monts

I like the colors you chose. Bravo for your post. Keep them coming. Don’t worry about naysayers. Practice makes perfect.

• Tammy
    Tammy

Omg I love you! I’m not a washcloth person but I have the same exact problem with my sewing machine! I love your witty posts and I can’t believe some people are having such a hard time! Keep it up you’re inspiring!