Vintage Hutch Makeover

$75

We gave this vintage hutch a new look and a chance at a second life after fixing some cosmetic issues and adding trim.

This run down and heavily used hutch was in desperate need of a makeover. There were scratches, chips and missing trim but we were up for the challenge! We started by cleaning with a mix of Dawn soap and water and letting it dry. Next it was time to sand.

We used our favorite sander, the 3 x 4 electric ray Surfprep - I have a discount code and link in my Instagram profile! After giving it a good sand, we went over it with a fine grit pad to get it ready for primer. We also cut a piece of leftover trim we had from a home project and used it on the front to enhance the design. We then sprayed shellac as a base, let it dry, then gave it a light sand again.

Next, we used our spray gun, the Fuji Semi-Pro 2 to apply our Paint. We used Shale Stone by Paint Couture - link in my Instagram bio and discount code there too for this line. We applied three coats of paint, sanding lightly between each and removing all dust with a tack cloth. Then, we sprayed our top coat - three coats in Satin for a subtle sheen, sanding between each one.

Then, after cleaning the pulls with Bar Keepers friend they were too bright! So I pulled out some dark wax and applied it to tone down the color and sheen so it better matches the paint color.

Here it is freshly madeover and ready for a new home!

30 Address Signs That'll Make Your Neighbors Stop in Admiration
15 Kitchen DIY Ideas That Will Come In Handy
15 Totally Doable Makeover Ideas You Can Finish In One Day
Check Out These Wonderful Gift Ideas You Can Do All By Yourself
Try These Gorgeous Ideas And The Mailman Will Never Miss Your Mailbox!

To see more: //instagram.com/aminidesignashburn

• Lynn
    Lynn

What's the reason for the shellac base?

• Joan Stanley
      Joan Stanley

As soon as i saw this, I went out and bought a similar paint for a similar cabinet that was supposed to be white but the finish had turned blotchy yellow.

I plan on bright white for the insides of the cabinet. Easier to see the lower storage but also brighten the room.

Will be starting soon! Excited!

• Susan QC
    Susan QC

I can't believe nobody else asked this, but what did you do with the door?

• Jev
    Jev

What type of shop vac and hose were you using? I can't find where I was reading about it. Thank you.