Asked on Feb 6, 2021

Any ideas how to make black plastic look more rustic?

Kathy Gunter LawRedcatcecJohnavallance82
+6

I have one of those black plastic photo collage frames and it's a bit too modern looking for what I'd like. Does anyone have any tried and true ideas as to what I can do to make it look a bit less sleek/modern? Paint, stain?

• You could paint it and distress the edges with sandpaper if you like.

• You could glue strips of roughed up wood onto the frame and stain it. If you use a primer on the plastic, you could then paint it.

• Chas' Crazy Creations
    Chas' Crazy Creations

Yes, you can see how I made these plain black mirrors from the dollar store look more rustic and farmhouse - https://chascrazycreations.com/pottery-barn-inspired-mirror/

• Dee
    Dee

Paint stirrers stained with minwax would work or lattice stips would also work Rustoleum makes a textured spay which comes in several colors, that may be the easiest thing to do.

• Vimarhonor
    Vimarhonor

Hello. There are many things you can try to make a frame look rustic or vintage.

You might consider antiquing wax, rubnbuff, or even deleted Diluted paint washes and spatters. This second hand frame was a bright gold before the applied layered finish was applied.

• Flipturn
    Flipturn

Are the plastic portions of the frames rounded, or flat?

Keep in mind that some plastic does not adhere well to other materials, and trying to glue any flat pieces on to rounded portions so they stay adhered when the frame is displayed upright, will be difficult.

• Johnavallance82
    Johnavallance82

Hello Lynn,

You could try rubbing it down with a fine sandpaper to take the shine off of it!

• Redcatcec
    Redcatcec

Eustoleum has a hammered appearing texture that creates an interesting effect, might be just enough to change the appearance of your frame. Available at Home Depot.

• Kathy Gunter Law
    Kathy Gunter Law

You could scuff with fine steel wool then add touches of a color like blue or red, depending on what look you are trying to achieve. Red is more farmhouse to me.