Farmhouse Style Stars | Easy DIY

$5

Let’s make these easy DIY farmhouse style stars today! You will see how easy it is to make these adorable stars that can be used year-round!

in the beginning

I came across one of these doors at my local junk and architectural shop. The only difference was the one I found didn’t look this clean and fresh!

Most of the slats were not even intact! They were laying on the ground at the base of the door so I grabbed them up!

Ideas can strike from anywhere but with this project I knew right away what I wanted to make with all those slats!

supplies

Farmhouse style stars! The project needed to be easy and only using few supplies.

Here is a list of the supplies:

• louvered door slats (option: five paint stir sticks from the hardware store)
  • paint in the desired color (mine had the perfect paint chippiness)
  • jute twine
  • power drill with a large drill bit
  • scissors
time to drill

Each star requires five slats. Using the power drill with a large drill bit, I drilled holes approximately 1/4″ away from the edges. They don’t need to be perfect – just another reason to love the farmhouse style!

As a side note, make sure you test the size of the hole with the jute twine that you use. You want the twine to fit the hole with ease!

cut the twine

Cut six pieces of the twine in approximately 6-7″ sections.

assembly

Lay out the first two slats in a V shape. Line up the holes and thread the twine through both holes.

Cut off the excess twine if you like. I did but that doesn’t mean you have to! It’s your star!!

You will do the same at each star point. Lay the slats out just like you would if you were drawing a star shape.

secure the slats

After all the slats are tied, you will notice that the slats can move around quite a bit. Let’s prevent that!

Tie the sixth piece of twine at the bottom intersection.

A dot of hot glue (or wood glue) will hold the other intersections snug.

make the hanger

Use a longer piece of jute, about 7-10″, to make the hanger. Loop it around the upper most point, just above the area in the previous step. Loop around and tie a knot!

You’ll see how I tie this type of looped knot in the video below!

watch this!

Sometimes watching a project is easier, so I made this quick video tutorial for you!

Farmhouse Style Star
the fun results

Wasn’t that an easy project?? You could whip up a sky full of farmhouse style stars for your home in just an afternoon!

Can’t you see them hanging on a front porch all at different heights? Or maybe several near the door your guests come into?

My farmhouse style stars are hanging from long pieces of jute cut in varying lengths. Aren’t they adorable?

They’re cute as a single star or as a group of farmhouse style stars!

Several stacked together is another way to show them off.

share your ideas!

Where would you hang your stars? Share your ideas in the comments! Let’s inspire one another with our individual creativity!

If you like this easy handmade Christmas decor project, here are a couple of more that might interest you:

join our journey!

Feel free to share this post with your friends on for more ideas and inspriation!

Follow along on for more tutorials! We’d love to have ya’ join our reinventing journey!

fun freebie!

I’ll even send you this fun freebie for joining our email!

thanks!

Thanks for stopping by for the fun and easy farmhouse style stars tutorial! I hope you are inspired to make some for your home soon!

31 Tricks To Help You Fix The Wood In Your Home:
15 Easy & Colorful DIY Projects For Your Home
31 Gorgeous Homemade Candle Ideas You're Going to Want to Try
21 Clever Wind Chimes You Can Make
The Wonderful Things You Can Make With...Paper!
Cindy Rust

• Melinda Record
    Melinda Record

Love these wood stars and that you salvaged retired shutter slats to create ~ so clever and resourceful! These will be perfect to display and decorate for any season or holiday. I'm already thinking Fourth of July ... fun! [And your instructions are excellent!]

Thank you very much for sharing and inspiring!

• Cindy Rust
      Cindy Rust

The Fourth of July would be a perfect time to make these stars!! Have fun and thanks for your kind words :)

• Kathrine Anderson
    Kathrine Anderson

I love these!!!! I like the idea of using paint stir sticks. Thanks for sharing.

• Cindy Rust
      Cindy Rust

So glad you enjoyed the project - wouldn't they be so cute for July 4th too?