Pieces and Parts

$2

My sister bought - what was supposed to be- an antique wash stand. It actually was a poor knock off made in China. It was falling apart. She ended up throwing most of it away. She only saved the small mirror and the 2 side spindles. Then she gave them to me saying, ‘maybe you can do something with these. ‘

Starting with these!

The mirror was supposed to swivel on the 2 posts.

Before

So- decided to paint it first.

Sand then paint with primer

Sanding -ugh! Hate it! But oh well, it’s part of the process. Fortunately, this was a smaller project so, not so bad.

After primer - painted a white paint

So, I’m sorta a hoarder. I say sorta because I’m not the kind u see on t.v. walking through trash. I’m the kind that has always has paint stashes or project pieces because one day I will need them . With that said, I have an abundance of paint. So, what kind of paint did you use, you say? IDK, it was in the stash!

Almost done!

Went to my shop, found a board that would be pretty perfect for a shelf. Painted the board with the same paint as the mirror and spindles. Attached the spindles to the board. They had screws on the ends. Drilled a small hole in board where the spindles would go. Then put wood glue on the ends and screwed it in the board. After drying, touched up the paint and added a wooden appliqué. I found these at a flea market several years ago for a dollar each! Saved them for future use. Painted it the same color as the rest of the piece.

Done

Made a nice shelf!

I think it turned out great. My Sister was very happy she saved the pieces!

One person’s trash.......

• Paint  (My stash)
  • Appliqué  (Flea market)

3 Gorgeous & Easy Projects to Help You Decorate for Fall
30 Useful Ways To Reuse Plastic Bottles
15 Decor Projects That Will Make Your Home Beautiful
31 Brilliant Ways To Repurpose Everyday Items Into Perfect Organizers
20 Easy Projects To Help You Get Ready For Easter
The Best Industrial Style DIY Ideas For Your Home Using Pipes
31 Astounding Things You Didn't Know You Could Do With Contact Paper

• Ellen
    Ellen

Is the mirror flat against the wall or can it still pivot on the spindles? Would be great in the hallway by the door for last minute primping!

• Sonja
      Sonja

I didn’t want it to swivel so I glued it on the outside and inside of the spindle connections with wood glue. However, yes it would still pivot if it were not glued. 😊

• Ms. Mack
    Ms. Mack

Love this! How clever you are!

• Mary McDonald
    Mary McDonald

Creative for sure. I prob would have put it the opposite way, with the mirror on top. Oh well, I liked Alice in Wonderland where anything goes!