Any ideas what to do with this space?

+11

We just installed a skylight in my kitchen and now that things are brightened up I decided to add small Fiestaware items to the space above the cabinets (both sides of stove). I still feel like it needs something - some filler or something (no plants) behind the Fiestaware. There is about 6" from top of cabinet to ceiling. I would appreciate any and all ideas! Thanks in advance!

q any ideas what to do with this space
  • GrandmasHouseDIY GrandmasHouseDIY on Feb 09, 2021

Hi! I have an old farmhouse so whenever I have a little spot like that for display items I end up heading to my local antique store. So, I think it depends on the design of your home - I love the colors of those cups. I'm wondering if some small and simple artwork behind them might look nice?

• Mogie Mogie on Feb 09, 2021

My dad has a friend who carves as a hobby and another who has a plasma cutter. So I have several carvings and metal cutouts and both would work in the space above your cabinet.

If you added some type of accent light to highlight your decor that would look sharp.

I am getting some lights from amazon in a few months.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00YMNS4YA/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=AAF37WJS3P6BT&psc=1

• KK KK on Feb 09, 2021

Beautiful Fiesta ware. I would put your items on white pedestals, or simple wood blocks you could make yourself from wood. You could have different heights, or the same heights, or take your center light blue item, make it the tallest, then stagger the heights down for the others. That would draw your eye up to make your items even more noticeable.

Your new skylight is great!

0

• I think you need some items of differing heights. Maybe mix-up the pieces you have with some others that are taller.

• Cheryl A Cheryl A on Feb 09, 2021

you could buy old books at a thrift store, etc and put the fiesta ware at different heights and the books would give it more color and interest too - you could buy artifical vines to weave in and out of the pieces you have up there too

https://carlaaston.com/designed/how-to-decorate-cabinet-top

• Cynthia H Cynthia H on Feb 09, 2021

Hi! I see only two issues that keep these items from showing off their beautiful shapes and colors. I would vary their height so that it draws the eye. The other issue for me is that space behind them. Something as simple as a piece of foam board left plain, or with pretty fabric or wallpaper would really make them stand out more. When I put something up high, I usually go for fewer, and larger items, like a platter or basket. Your items are lovely, so I am sure you can make them work. Good luck!

• Redcatcec Redcatcec on Feb 09, 2021

The answer was staring me right in the face! A Mexican table runner! You could get 1 and if necessary cut it down and fit over a piece of cardboard to fit the space.

Here is 1 from Amazon, but I am sure you could find 1 locally:

https://www.amazon.com/Hokic-84-inch-Mexican-Wedding-Decorations/dp/B07D8ZTH8K/ref=sr_1_41?dchild=1&keywords=fiesta+kitchen+decor&qid=1612907290&sr=8-41

Beautiful skylight!

• Betsy Betsy on Feb 09, 2021

Hi Tammy: Is the ceiling slanted or are my eyes playing tricks on me? :) If you could, I'd put taller Fiesta Ware up there. Small things seem to get lost with height. Maybe some chickens or farm animal and/or farm type statuary that's a bit taller. You can put your Fiesta Ware behind the toaster. Just MHO

• Maybe a cute basket to add a little texture?

• Vimarhonor Vimarhonor on Feb 09, 2021

Hello. It looks nice as it is right now. Something to consider might be a sign or even some battery operated fairy lights for night time drama to silhouette your collection.

• I think if you just add some more items in general and layer it so items aren’t straight across, that will solve the issue you’re having.

• FrugalFamilyTimes.com FrugalFamilyTimes.com on Feb 10, 2021

Plants will bring it to life! Even faux plants will look beautiful. Love the skylight! What a difference it must have made!

• Tammy Tammy on Feb 10, 2021

Thank you all for the wonderful suggestions! Got lots of great ideas! Thanks again!

• Barbara Barbara on Feb 17, 2021

Not every space needs to be filled with something. It seems you have a lot of little things scattered about. Your Fiestaware collection will have more impact when grouped together.