DIY Modern Bifold Closet Door Makeover - Take a Door From Drab to Fab

$50

It's amazing what a 1/4 inch piece of plywood can do!

Before remodeling our master bedroom and bathroom we had this awkward space at one end of our bedroom. We thought what a perfect place for my husband's closet. He gets his own closet and I get him out of the master closet. A win-win for both!

Here's after the remodel with new double bifold closet doors. Better but still drab and boring.

I did this to two bifold doors. Each of our bifold doors measured 79 x 24 inches.

Once you have all your wood cut lay your bifold doors flat. Sawhorses are a good option for this. Add your first vertical layer of 1/4" thick plywood. To do this apply liquid nails and place the first vertical piece on top of the bifold door. I used popsicle sticks in the fold to keep the piece from shifting towards the middle. Use clamps to hold in place. Insert several 1", 23G pin nails to hold in place until the glue dries. Repeat for each side of the bifold door. 

Add the second and third vertical layer pieces. I cut these pieces after I had added the second layer of vertical pieces for more precise cuts.  

Add the top and bottom horizontal pieces. Then add the middle horizontal pieces. Glue and nail as you did in the first two steps. Make sure to check for square.

Apply wood filler and caulk. Then add a primer and paint. Since a closet gets a lot of use I recommend applying a sealer.

Finally, add your choice of door handles. I added my handles in the vertical center of each half of each bifold door.  

I love how it turned out. A perfect modern look that fits many different design styles.

If you loved this post then check out this $15 bifold door turned into a barn door.

If you don't know what kind of bifold door to do here are 10 amazing bifold door makeovers that you can check out to help you decide.

Come by and say "hi"at Dream Design DIY, where I believe you can have a beautiful practical home no matter your budget, time, or talent.

Make Your Home a Winter Wonderland With These Stunning Ideas
31 Gorgeous Homemade Candle Ideas You're Going to Want to Try
30 Adorable DIY Ideas For July 4th
15 Genius Ways to Organize Your Bedroom
Tiffany from Dream Design DIY

• Sherri
    Sherri

It looks great but I’m confused. It looks like you just put doors where a wall once was. Did you knock out a wall to build a closet? What was behind that wall before you knocked it out? I imagine building the closet was the hardest part.

• Sherri
      Sherri

Oh, of course! Thanks Tiffany, I don’t know why I didn’t get it at first, great job!

• Rosa Torres Aiello
    Rosa Torres Aiello

Are the doors still bifold?

• Yes. I didn't change the function of the doors at all. The wood panels don't cover the fold of the door making them open as close as usual.

• Lovesunique
    Lovesunique

At first I thought you were going to bring the closet out closer to the window and make it a walk-in! I realize that would entail moving wall switch and a little more framing. What you did with the doors is impressive. I have louver and hate them because they are dust collectors.

• Mary McDonald
      Mary McDonald

I thought the same thing, like flush with the side wall and/or window. Great job otherwise! Looks sharp.

• Melinda Record
    Melinda Record
    13 hours ago

OMG ~ these closet doors are GORGEOUS! Wow, what a terrific transformation from empty space to a useful closet. Love this designer look. Kudos for a project well done!

Thank you for sharing !