Creating a CLoffice

$350

With our oldest boy moving rooms and his younger sister taking over, the gaming closet had to go. In order to make this space more her, we opted for an awesome makeover.

After clearing out the space I began by using some left over room paint to give this space a fresh coat of paint including an accent color

The higher shelf was left in place and I added to the functionality by building two identical storage cube sections on each side. I then topped with a piece of butcher block counter top to create a work surface.

A second tier shelf was added just above the desk as well as a sliding track for doors to cover the storage above. Doors were assembled using 1x4 cut to size to provide a slight overlap as the doors pass behind one another to open and close.

For a little extra detail I created these simple corbels using some scrap 2x4

Corbels were stained and installed into doorway as well as stain applied to desk top. Upper shelves and doors were painted black and cube storage was painted as well. Provides a nice contrast of color and the wood tones really stand out.

To close in the doors at the top I made some inserts using a random geometric pattern. Provided a little detail and dimension for the space.

After painting the doors to match the closet office was brought to life with a little decor. Making this fully functional while providing plenty of additional storage.

• (4) 2x4 sheets 3/4 plywood  (Home depot)
  • (1) 4ft piece butcher block counter top  (Homedepot)
  • (2) 1x4x8 pine boards for upper doors  (Home Depot)

18 Wintery Wreath Ideas That You'll Want To Make For Your Home
25 Impressive Ways You Can Update Your Ikea Purchases!
15 Memorial Day Crafts
27 Wonderful Ways You Can Use Scrapbooking Paper
Check Out These 15 Beautiful Flower Ideas For Spring
Use Your Old Corks For These 25 Clever Ideas

• Callie Edwards-MacGyver
    Callie Edwards-MacGyver

Won't those rustic 2 x4 corbels get in the way of the upper cabinet doors?

• Flipturn
      Flipturn

Callie,

Take another look at picture #4 and you will see the little white stopper on the bottom of the left side door. This is a clue that the doors are sliding (and not hinged).

• Nancy
    Nancy

This looks amazing!!

I have two questions:

1 - What did you use to add texture to the painted walls?

2 - What type of lighting is that running along the boards?

• Teri
      Teri

I really like your idea of the lights. My desk has a shelf above it and the window is to my back making the desk space very dark. I don't have room for a lamp because my printer takes up so much space. Are these lights battery operated and can you cut them if the run of lights is too long?

• Debbie
    Debbie

Looks Fantastic. Where did you get the little mini wooden quilt holder that sits

on the shelf on the back of the desk?

• Debbie
      Debbie

Thank you so much. Very nice transformation of a closet.

• Brenda
    Brenda

Great job. It’s gorgeous. But...I wish I had a spare closet. Ha.

l love everything about it.

• Linda Abate
    Linda Abate

What a fantastic thing to do with a closet that is not be used for clothing. This is such a great space for homework, etc. Love the lighting you added to the underneath of the cabinets. SUPER FANTASTIC JOB.