Asked on Feb 10, 2021

Sink prob?

Penne JohnsonFlipturnDee
+9

What can I use to keep gunk off of rubber at sink opening where garbage disposal and everything drains. I’ve used vinegar made baking soda paste and left it on overnight, but just can’t get it to not keep getting yucky. Sink is used constantly so want to get this problem solved.

• Vimarhonor
    Vimarhonor

Hello. Have you tried barkeepers friend? It is a wonderful versatile asset to have on hand for numerous cleaning problems.

• Cheryl A
    Cheryl A

have you tried using an old toothbrush to scrub it with and then using either bleach or clorox cleanup cleaner to remove the gunk? you can also try goof off

• Redcatcec
    Redcatcec

I think you are talking about the garbage disposal splash guard, the rubber flaps that prevent items from falling into the disposal, water and food from flying up from the g/d to the sink.

To clean them from time to time, some say weekly, some say monthly, lift up the flaps or area of the flap, depending on which you have. Take an old toothbrush and warm soapy water and scrub it clean. One source said use toothpaste. Then rinse. The underside is constantly bombarded with all kinds of food that is put to the g/d and they fly around in there, so they will cling to the splash guard's underside and bacteria will grow, gunking it up.

An alternative is to replace it, they are not that expensive.

Best to you.

• Lynn Sorrell
    Lynn Sorrell

scrub it with green scrubber sponge and comet both top and underneath to get it clean ,daily put in dishwasher if it comes out : really stiff toilet bowl brushes smaller round kind works good if you are against using your hands

• Mogie
    Mogie

Turn the garbage disposal off and turn the faucet to hot. Fill a bowl with warm water and add a few squirts of liquid dish soap. Then, using an old toothbrush, scrub the garbage disposal’s rubber gasket (those black flaps at the opening).

Be sure to lift the gasket flanges and clean their undersides, too. It’s amazing how much gunk builds up there!

Once the gasket is clean, press the flaps back into place. Start the tap running again and turn on the garbage disposal. Spend a minute switching between hot and cold water with the disposal running. This will help liquify and remove any remaining greasy residue.

• J Brown
    J Brown

Rubber tends to deteriorate and become slimy in wet settings. Depending on the age replacement may be the answer.

• Morgan McBride
    Morgan McBride

You really just have to clean it frequwently.

• Carrie @ Curly Crafty Mom
    Carrie @ Curly Crafty Mom

Here are some tips on how to clean it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjBBjU1Gex8

• Dee
    Dee

I really do not think there is anything to keep the flaps to the garbage disposal clean forever. I use Lemishine disposal cleaner every other month and in between scrub it with an old sponge. I also clean the disposal by putting lemon, lime or orange rinds in and tunr it on for a fresh smell.

• Flipturn
    Flipturn

If the rubber splash guard is the style that is removable, put it in the dishwasher from time to time.

If your disposal unit is old, then I would suggest replacing it with a newer model that is rated easier to clean, and one that has a removable splash guard.

• Penne Johnson
    Penne Johnson

Boy oh boy. Thx loads to all of your great hints. I had no idea the flaps might be removable but will try and several hints seem to be very helpful