5 Minute DIY Lamp Shade

$5

I did something today.

I finally took my little girls plain white, unfinished lamp shade from her room and made it cute.

Considering it took me about 5 minutes not counting drying time – why didn’t I do this ages ago?

Do you ever find it frustrating when you buy a beautiful lamp that costs a pretty penny and the shade on it is just blah? I wonder why most lamps come with unfinished shades? Maybe because they are so incredibly simple to customize....

Oh well!

I took the shade off the lamp and grabbed the leftover paint that I had used to paint a feature wall in her room. This was just ordinary satin sheen wall paint. Normally I would use chalk paint when I want to paint fabric but in this case I was using what I had.

One good solid coat was all it took. Then I let it dry completely. I've discovered over time that this paint has held up just fine.

I hot glued some feather boa to the bottom edge and voila! It’s the perfect little touch to her newly refinished desk!

This would also look adorable with some beaded trim, some lace, some feathers or some cute little charms beaded onto some twine.

Until next time!

• Lamp shade  (already owned)
  • Leftover paint  (already owned)
  • Feather boa  (Hobby Lobby)

18 Stunning Backsplash Ideas You Do Not Want To Miss!
Grab Some Pool Noodles And Copy These 3 Ideas
13 Bird Feeders From Upcycled Items
31 Astounding Things You Didn't Know You Could Do With Contact Paper
Tara @ Stilettos and Shiplap

• Nicole P
    Nicole P

This is such a cute idea! I love the feather boa detail.

• Janice
    Janice

Very cute & simple. Year's ago I used the same simple process to frame a round mirror for my daughter. Amazingly, she still loves it and it has survived for nearly 15 years. The lampshade is great!