Asked on Feb 12, 2021

Epoxy counter top help?

AnnieCarrie @ Curly Crafty MomDee
+13

I’m not an expert but what went wrong on my counters.

Was the clear or matte clear rolled to thin or ?

Back counter lip

Front edge, why does it look like that ?

Another front edge , what’s wrong

Looks like areas were missed with matte clear.

More bad front edges

Rear back lip , running paint.

• Kathy Gunter Law
    Kathy Gunter Law

It's a bit difficult to tell but I think perhaps you didn't apply enough or it dried too quickly, like partially dry in the application.

• GrandmasHouseDIY
    GrandmasHouseDIY

It looks like it just isn't done yet. I think a thorough light sanding and another coat and just keep working at it.

• FrugalFamilyTimes.com
    FrugalFamilyTimes.com

Epoxy can be so tricky to work with. Was it a two part resin? I find you need to mix it very carefully and for much longer than you'd think you need to.

• This is a really tough job. The application is not easy to master. Perhaps if you took the photos to the paint store - a local small one, where they're very familiar with the product - and ask them what they suggest.

• Mogie
    Mogie

There should be some sort of contact info on the can of product you used. Give them a call or email.

• Maura White
    Maura White

What color is under it? Is the dark color from underneath showing through? I would try sanding, or just adding a second coat.

• David
    David

Thank you all for your replies, my counters were dark grey and I wasn’t the one who did this job. It was supposedly a professional. Does this look like someone who’s done this for 6 years?

• Flipturn
      Flipturn

No, the finish does not look to me like it was applied by a 'professional'.

Do you have a written contract that was signed by both you and the installer before any money was given over, or before any work began on the job? How does the wording read in reference to the completion being consistent with the customer's satisfaction?

If you do not have a contract, then unfortunately, you will not be able to take him to small claims court (as Betsy suggests) for not fulfilling his part of contract, simply because one does not exist.

Betsy

Hi David: I would call that 'professional' back to fix the counter. If he won't do it, I suggest you take him to small claims court. And, if he offers to fix it in court, I would tell the judge, or magistrate, that you have 'lost faith' in him and don't want him to do anything else with it. I'd get some estimates on fixing it, in writing on business head paper, just in case you have to go to court. But, that phrase "Lost Faith" is very important, instead of just saying you don't want him to do it.

Good luck

• Flipturn
    Flipturn

It is going to be a great deal of work to try to remove the epoxy finish that is presently on your countertop. The process will most likely cause some damage to the finish on the surface. The result might be an unattractive countertop that has lost its durability. Purchasing a brand new laminate countertop may be the most expedient solution to this situation.

• David
    David

Thanks again for your help. I was planning on taking them to small claims court. I’ve seen a lot of videos on how to do this job but seem very difficult and decided to hire the only person in town that seems to do this and it back fired. I live in Wisconsin and no other company seemed to do epoxy counter tops.

• Flipturn
    Flipturn

You're welcome.

I wish that we could have given you one, but unfortunately, there is no 'magic wand' fix.

• Dee
    Dee

No this was not done by a professional. I would get the contractor to replace or refinish the counter. Definitely take him to small claims court if he will not fix the problem or replace your counter with one of your choice. Tell the judge that you have lost faith in this person, and would like another form of restitution.

• Annie
    Annie

Im not sure what exactly you are talking about. Type of epoxy?, What are you putting the epoxy over?

Several things are factors for success when pouring epoxy. Surface prep, correct temp. for storing the epoxy, mixing the epoxy and applying the epoxy, How did you mix the epoxy.

One must follow instructions to a T when applying epoxy...

Heres a pic of one of my epoxy projects...

• David
      David

Hello and thanks for your reply. I have no idea how or what the temperature was when the so called professional did my counters. All I know is everyone else here agreed with me that it’s not a professional finish. I now have to figure out how to fix them or replace them. Thank you