How-To Spray Paint a Bathroom Faucet

$15

How many outdated shinny chrome fixtures do you have in bathrooms and sinks that are just begging to be changed? I have way too many and it would be a fortune to fix them all so decided to try a more economical approach, Spray Paint.

I’m not going to lie, I was a bit skeptical, and so I tried this technique on our utility sink in the powder room. This technique is so incredibly easy and it only requires a few simple steps.

What You’ll Need:
  • Automotive Primer- This will help stop any rust and will help mattify the shiny metallic finish so that the next layer can adhere to it better. I used Rust-oleum Automotive Primer.
  • Metallic Spray Paint– I chose to use Krylon Metalic Gold
  • Plastic Tarp– A few plastic trash bags will do the trick.
  • Painter Tape
Let’s Get Prepy

This process does not require you to undo the fixture or to mess with the plumbing but you are welcome to if it’s easier.

The first step would be to prep the surrounding space. I took a few trash bags and draped them over the vanity and taped it up the wall to protect from overspray. Use painters to tape to tape around the faucet to protect the vanity.

Tip:

Make sure your space is really clean. Wipe down your faucet and the surrounding area.

Now we’ll give the faucet a good coat of the Automotive Primer. Follow the manufacturer’s recommendations. Let it dry.

Everything is Better Gold

This step will bring the fixture back to life. Once the first coat has dried, spray the first coat of the Metallic Gold. This may require a few layers. Use the manufacturers recommendations.

Make sure to spray in all the nooks and crannies and to get the underside of the fixture. Rotate the handles (while remembering that your WATER IS STILL ON) a few degrees to insure a full 360 spray. Also, don’t forget any accessories such as sprayers.

At this step, I have read that you can seal everything with a sealant or you could end the process here. For this project, I chose to end the project here. This particular faucet is in a minimally used 1/2 bath that doesn’t get much use.

Please follow along for all of my Powder Room Renovations!

These Bathroom Makeovers Might Inspire You To Update Your Own
23 Valentine's Day DIY Ideas That You Don't Want To Miss
These West Elm Knockoffs Are Pretty Unbelievable
Andrea Runk

• Sjt29229935
    Sjt29229935

Does your sprayer still function? It looks pretty clogged with paint. Think I would have unscrewed the spray section at the end and painted it separately to avoid clogging holes. While still wet, you could poke a toothpick in the holes to remove wet paint. Maybe a little tape over threads and paper stuffed inside opening to prevent paint buildup, keeping threads clean before reattaching. This prevents the detachable part from being "paint glued" on so if you ever want to remove it, your beautiful new paint will not be ruined when you try to unscrew it. Same goes for filter on the end of the faucet. They both need periodic removal for cleaning, especially if you have rust issues. Just a thought. Looks lovely, however, good job.

• Andrea Runk
      Andrea Runk

It does, but I wish I would have gone through the extra effort and had done what you mentioned. Next time I guess, thanks for the info.

• S Davis
    S Davis

Love it. Would like to apply this process to my old kitchen bakers rack. Do I have to use a metallic spray after the primer or could I use a color like white, beige or a soft grey. I’d like it to not look so metallic. If so, do I need to apply anything else over the non-metallic paint to keep it from chipping from all the S hooks we use.

• BenFranklin methodologist
      BenFranklin methodologist

I love using spray paint! But I’m not brave enough to use it indoors! Most of the Rustoleum spray paint I have used did not require a primer, because it basically had that “built in” to the paint. Just read the can to make sure. Also, I’ve never gone that extra step to use a clear protective coat. I would like to mention a good reason to use a clear coat over your bakers rack would be having the rack in the kitchen & not bumping into it & getting the white or black on your clothes - the clear would help. Any of your non-metallic colors should make you happy. Also, note, that some of the paint colors are shiny or matte. I, myself, prefer matte finishes because I feel they have more of an antique feel. Whereas, the glossy/shiny has a more modern take & it’s easier to wipe clean. Good luck with your project, I wish I had room for a bakers rack in my kitchen!

• Phyllis Virga
    Phyllis Virga

My powder room faucet is covered in white plastic coding, should I take that off before sanding or sand the coding, then primer?

• Andrea Runk
      Andrea Runk

Phyllis, I wish I knew how to best answer this. I am unfortunately not familiar with that type of coating. So Sorry.

• Joe SIL
    Joe SIL

PEOPLE. Please scuff / sand all everything with 600 grit

that you want to paint, then wipe with a tac cloth prior to painting. If you skip the sanding, the paint WILL not hold up . It will peel & chip easily. The primer still needs to be used of course , but nothing is better than creating a mechanical bond between the substrate and the paint.

The tac cloth removes any dust or contaminate that would otherwise be trapped in the painted finish.

• Andrea Runk
      Andrea Runk

Thank you for this advice. My method has worked great for me.

• BenFranklin methodologist
    BenFranklin methodologist

Thank you, Joe, for your input! It’s very good advice & proper prepping is good “insurance” that your project efforts will last longer, especially if something will be used frequently!