Easy Thrifted Lamp Makeover

$20

Y’all I’ve been obsessing over these earthenware lamps I’ve been seeing at Pottery Barn and Anthropologie. I shared some of them with you earlier this week on 17 Farmhouse Decor Trends. So do you know what I did? I searched for a similar shaped lamp while thrifting and here’s what happened. Here is an Easy Thrifted Lamp Makeover using a Goodwill $7.00 lamp to create a Pottery Barn knock off earthenware look. This update was achieved for a fraction of the cost of a new lamp.

I was thrilled with the size and shape of this $7.00 lamp

First, the lamp

You need to have an idea of what you want before going thrifting. So I studied and make screen shots of the lamps I liked.

Some times, I think “this was meant to be”! I walked right into my local Goodwill and immediately spotted this lamp.

Thrifted Lamp Makeover

The first step, is to add some texture. One of the easiest ways to do this is to use Rust-oleum Textured Spray Paint to cover the entire surface.

I was planning as I went but here are the things I used.

• Rust-oleum Textured Spray Paint
  • Plaster of Paris
  • Chalk Paint – 3 colors of your choice
  • Finishing Wax Dark & Clear or Satin Clear Sealant
  • Plastic Spatula or trowel
  • Chip Brushes
  • Small Metal Trowel
  • Fine Grit Sandpaper

Using a chip brush add a thin layer of Plaster of Paris over the entire surface and let dry.

Next, using the plastic spatula apply a coat of thicker plaster over the entire surface.

Then, once the plaster is set, you can use a light grit sand paper to smooth any rough edges.

It’s best to do this while the plaster is still drying because it’s easier to work with and you avoid all the dust. I sanded after the plaster had set for approx. 20 minutes.

The next step will depend on what exact finish you like. I had two different inspiration lamps in mind as I worked on this project. One from Pottery Barn with all the texture and the other from Anthropologie with the colors. So I did a mix of both.

I painted the base with Graphite Chalk Paint. From there up to just over 1/2 way, I used a gray ( French Linen) Chalk Paint.

Then using the Old White Chalk paint, I painted the top and allowed it to bleed down over the French Linen paint.

Finally, you will want to seal the surface of your lamp. I used a mixture of Clear and Dark Annie Sloan Wax because I wanted to allow some of the dark wax to settle into the trowel marks and add depth to the texture of the Plaster of Paris finish.

If you don’t want to darken your lamp, you should use the clear wax alone or use a spray sealant such as Rust-0lenum Clear Sealer in a satin finish.

Thrifted Lamp Makeover Final reveal

How do you like it? I love the texture and the colors. Still not sure about the lamp shade but I have my receipt. LOL

If you'd like some Tips on Successful Thrift Store Shopping, click here.

Get Ready For The Baseball Season With These Great Projects
15 Unbelievable Ways People Paint Their Walls
30 Fabulous Wreath Ideas That Will Make Your Neighbors Smile
15 Genius Hacks to Keep Pests Away
Cut Up Some Pallets For These 20 Amazing Ideas
15 Memorial Day Crafts
Rachel The Ponds Farmhouse

• Kathy
    Kathy

Can this be done on glass lamps?

My daughter has lightweight glass lamps that her toddlers can knock over easily, was wanting to pour sand inside to weigh them down and then paint and texturize to hide the sand. Have already tried just the sand look and it isn’t attractive by itself 🤷🏼‍♀️.

• Bee
    Bee

Is there A reason for using the Rust-Oleum on it before you put the plaster of Paris on? The plaster of Paris is very textured and it completely covers up the Rust-Oleum, so just wondered if you have to do that step before you do the plaster of Paris?

• Rachel The Ponds Farmhouse
      Rachel The Ponds Farmhouse

Bee

the finish on this lamp was very smooth and slick. I was afraid the plaster of Paris would chip off without a base to cling to.

it might work without it but I didn’t want to take a chance.

if you are working with a less slick surface or one with good texture to begin with you wouldn’t need the primer for sure.

rachel.

• Steff Blue Eyes
    Steff Blue Eyes

Not a question, just a compliment, you are amazing. Well yes, also a question: How did you know to use all those products to achieve the look you wanted? You have so much patience. Thanks for the inspiration.

Stephanie