Ornate Dresser Makeover

$100

Ornate pieces make my heart skip a beat. When I come across one while thrifting I usually gasp. They are my jam! This piece came from a thrift store.

These pieces are made of plastic around the ornate details. They were big back in the seventies. No one gets mad about you painting them as in their current state they aren’t anything to write home about. But let me tell you once you paint them they become a show stopper!

First things first I removed all the hardware. Especially the metal plates that make the piece too dated. Then I cleaned and scuff sanded the piece as best I could considering all the details.

I love this deep, delicious green called Rainforest by Behr In their chalk paint. And my Zibra brush is one of my favorites!

Once I painted two coats of the green and let that dry I went back and dry brushed the details of the drawers and door. Dry brushing is a technique where you use very little paint in your brush...and softly go over the details to make them stand out. It’s my favorite part!

I used a mixture of a few chalk paints I had on hand. A creamy white, a navy and mustard. I dabbed a little of this one and that one as I went.

I used a wallpaper on the three middle drawers for a fun surprise when you open the door and a polycrylic to seal the entire piece.

Lastly, I added new circular aged brass knobs from Hobby Lobby to the drawers while keeping the original tear drop pulls on the door.

Now this piece has been given a new lease on life!

it doesn’t look like the same piece.

Find me on the gram making things pretty

Instagram.com/pickedandposhed

Do You Want to Make Over a Room in Your Home & Add Gorgeous Built-Ins?
30 Adorable DIY Ideas For July 4th
18 Stunning Backsplash Ideas You Do Not Want To Miss!
30 Jewelry Organizing Ideas That Are Better Than a Jewelry Box
25 Christmas Wreath Ideas You Don't Want To Miss This Year
Hometalk's Top 10 Spookiest Halloween Picks Of 2017
23 Adorable Ways You Can Make Your Own Coasters

To see more: //instagram.com/pickedandposhed

• Bea
    Bea

How well does the paint hold up, even with the sealer, on the plastic areas of the piece? Your comment about this type of furniture being "big" back in the 70's, made me smile.....it was in every room of my parents home!

• Laurie Powell
    Laurie Powell

Why is chalk paint better than regular paint?

Is it thinner or thicker?

Any opinions would really be very

helpful!

I have a cabinet that already has the shutters! It was in the house I bought. It needs lots of help!! 🙂

• Sharon
      Sharon

Chalk paint doesn’t require stripping off old finish. A light sand, and cleaning, and you are ready to go. Covers in one coat typically so it goes far.

• Erin
    Erin

Bravo! This is really stylish & well done.