Fix a too dark colour on a furniture piece. ?

+11

I’ve used fusion paint on a dresser that I’m doing over. The colour is steel grey/blue. I liked the colour on the piece in the store but in my home environment I find it too dark. I do not want to start all over again sanding, priming and painting so I was looking for the best way to go over it with a cream colour or possibly antiquing it. Help please.

Sharon

• Simple Nature Decor Simple Nature Decor on Feb 19, 2021

You still have to sand it a bit before applying any color so the color will stick

• Dee Dee on Feb 19, 2021

Unfortunately Sharon, you will have to lightly sand the piece or get a good grabbing primer, then repaint.

• William William on Feb 19, 2021

Difference in lighting in the store and the home can make colors look different. Notice when looking at color swatches in the store the lighting is bright. I always take color swatches outside and see how they look in daylight. A quick solution would be to dry brush it with a lighter color. It will look aged, distressed, and antiqued.

https://www.hometalk.com/search/posts?filter=dry%20brush

• Cheryl A Cheryl A on Feb 20, 2021

I would white wash or antique it that would be the easiest way without having to repaint it..

• Janice Janice on Feb 20, 2021

If you are into metallics at all, you might try using a diluted metallic craft paint rubbed over the surface with a soft cloth. You could add as little or as much as you like to "brighten" the piece up a bit. I can pictue a silvery metallic on the grey/blue to add some depth and interest.

• This was a gray chest with white paint dry brushed over it. This technique might lighten it up enough for your liking. https://www.hometalk.com/2830184/my-new-favorite-dresser-makeover

• Vimarhonor Vimarhonor on Feb 20, 2021

Hello. Could it be lightened with a thinned white glazing- medium? Or a white washed application? Also they do have brown wax antiquing waxes and a white wax too.

I am not too sure if they would lighten your furniture enough. I hope you find the perfect solution.

• Libbie B Libbie B on Feb 21, 2021

A white wax may be just enough coverage to help you like the color again.

• Sharon Sharon on Feb 21, 2021

I would give it a lite sand, and repaint with a lighter shade of paint. You can't really lighten the dark color unless you want to whitewash which doesn't sound like the look you're going for. No glaze or wax will lighten it either.

• Kathy Gunter Law Kathy Gunter Law on Feb 22, 2021

You could highlight with a glaze that is opaque or silver.

• Annie Annie on Feb 23, 2021

You could try just painting over it..

• Maura White Maura White on Feb 25, 2021

I love the idea above of trying a light wax to see if that brightens it up enough for you!

• Jeremy Hoffpauir Jeremy Hoffpauir on Feb 28, 2021

I would try painting over it with 2 coats.

• Johnavallance82 Johnavallance82 on May 06, 2021

HI SHARON,

RUB THE SURFACE DOWN A LITTLE TO GIVE A "key" THEN RE-PAINT A LIGHTER SHADE!