Recycled Drawers Into a Shelf

6 materials
$10

Instead of throwing out something or taking it to secondhand store, why not try and repurpose it yourself for a need you may have. This is exactly what I did!

These drawers are from a friend who was doing a bathroom remodel.

The handles were taken off then filled in with wood filler.

Then, they were wiped down, sanded and painted with a gray chalk paint. This took two coats.

So the drawers were kind of funky and trying to put them together was kind of like a puzzle. Three of the drawers were the same depth but one was a little shallower. That one I knew would stay on the top.

This is what it look like from the sides. The lips of the drawers stuck out on opposite sides. (Hope that makes sense!) I needed to cover it up with something but I wasn’t quite sure yet what.

They were screwed from the backside together.

So here is the way it looked when they were put together. Remember I said they were “funky”. That is why you see a small gap between the top and bottom shelving. I kind of like it, it makes it unique. A place where you can maybe store something like a book, iPad, mail or nothing at all.

I then distressed the edges! It wasn’t very secure yet, but I had a plan.

OLD FENCE BOARDS TO THE RESCUE!

So to cover up the sides and top, I looked in our stash of boards and found we had old fence boards that were the exact depth of the largest drawers. Winner winner chicken dinner! I was so excited I didn’t have to rip any boards to make something fit. I already had some thing that would work! I cut them to size and then stained them with this stain + polyurethane from Rust-oleum. I absolutely LOVE this stain when using old fence boards. It gives it an instant antiqued look and dries quickly. I attached them with an air nailer. This secured the drawers together even more having put this frame around it.

Here is it done!

View from the side. One thought was to use it as a bar.😃

I’m really happy with the way it turned out. I especially love repurposing something that would have otherwise been thrown out!

Questions on this post

3  questions

Comments

12 of 64 comments
Next