Asked 8 days ago

How to make the back of an end table look nice

Jeremy HoffpauirSimple Nature DecorAnnie
+13

I have this small end table that really needs to be against a wall (the back is just a piece of unfinished wood), but I would like for the back to look good so it doesn't have to be against a wall. Any ideas as to what I could put on the back to make it look nicer? The stain on the back is much darker than the front and I don't want to paint the piece. For reference, the back board is approx. 11"x 11" . Thanks for any ideas!

• You could use a piece of textured paintable wallpaper and add it to the back. Or you could decoupage and pretty patterned paper there or you could add a vintage looking piece of fabric or contact paper. We used bead board to solve a similar problem. https://www.exquisitelyunremarkable.com/2018/06/trash-to-treasure-table-makeover.html

• Cheryl A
    Cheryl A

you could paint or stain it or even add wallpaper or paper that looks like wood slats on the back

• Redcatcec
    Redcatcec

You could also go the path of the hardest work...sand and refinish. I really like the idea of decoupaging the back.

• Kathy
    Kathy

contact paper

William

It looks like someone used a piece of cheap underlayment for the back and tried to match the stain. Can you remove it? What does the front look like? You can decoupage some decorative paper on it. You can get some paint the closely matches the rest of it and paint.

• I would stencil a design or pattern on it

• Vimarhonor
    Vimarhonor

Hello. If you don’t want to paint it -I would think about making a slipcover of a pretty fabric to place over it.

• What about Modge podge? You could add some paper that’s meaningful to you - like an antique newspaper? Could be a conversation piece too. :)

• Dee
    Dee

I would sand it down, in fact I would lightly sand the entire table, then restain to an even color. Minwax comes in many colors, you could change the look of a room. Good Luck

Betsy

Hi Lynn: Can you remove that backing and replace it with another piece of thin wood? They have smaller pieces at the home improvement centres. Then stain it to match. Or, you can get some velvet and glue it onto the existing back, or even Contact paper.

• Zard Pocleeb
    Zard Pocleeb

William’s right...looks like cheap piece that might not even be wood. Looks like it might not be original to the piece either. It doesn’t even look like it fits properly.

Gently remove the piece on the back and cut a new one. Stain and finish. Remember that stain doesn’t have to be used right out of the can. It can be mixed with another stain to get the color you want. Just make sure to use like-stains (oil with oil, waterborne with waterborne). Test your finish on a small piece of the scrap wood to get the color you want. Install new piece.

One last consideration. When I was in a high school wood shop class my teacher taught me a very valuable lesson. If you can’t make something match accentuate the difference so it doesn’t look like you’re trying to match it. I have a fully equipped wood shop that I have made hundreds of pieces in. I do a lot of work that I use this concept on (see picture for an example). This is a breadbox I finished a couple months ago. The dark brown dots are pieces of walnut dowel rod that I used to disguise a small bad spot in the wood. I also used contrasting woods (quarter sawn white oak and purpleheart).

• Kathy Gunter Law
    Kathy Gunter Law

I would add removable wallpaper to the area.

• Morgan McBride
    Morgan McBride

maybe cover with contact paper

• Annie
    Annie

Give it a sand and stain it to match the rest of the table. or depending on the decor of your home, find a small wall hanging to fit. Or perhaps a magazine holder..

• Simple Nature Decor
    Simple Nature Decor

I would consider painting the table to blend in