Asked 7 days ago

How do I fix or cover this quartz seam nightmare???

Agnes ChrzanowskaJeremy HoffpauirAnnie
+13

Our contractor botched this new quartz countertop installment. Obviously they are no longer on the job. Can this be fixed? If not can I cover it some how?

• Robyn Garner
    Robyn Garner

Before we start, if you haven't paid the contractor please don't! You can contest his charges with this proof of poor work. If you have paid, you can take him to small claims court to recoup your costs.

Repairs are fairly simple and straightforward!

https://www.wikihow.com/Fix-a-Chip-in-a-Quartz-Countertop

https://www.hunker.com/13724145/stone-countertop-repair-what-you-should-know

https://www.doityourself.com/stry/repair-a-chip-in-a-quartz-countertop

https://www.hometalk.com/44111399/q-how-do-i-fix-chip-in-quartz-countertop

• I would hold them responsible for fixing it or hire another contractor for the repair.

• Michelle Leslie
    Michelle Leslie

Oh, that's just wrong on so many levels. I'm sorry you had to put up with such bad workmanship Katie. Perhaps you can get someone to re-bevel/re-edge the countertop. Here's an article that gives you a little more information - https://countertopguides.com/guides/bevel-countertop.html

• Dee
    Dee

If you went through Home Depot of Lowes, contact their district manager. They will make it right. I would get another contractor to fix the edges. Certainly would not trust the person who did this as it is not professional. If you paid by credit card, dispute the charges.

William

I would get another contractor to do the repair. Get an affidavit from him if you plan to sue the first contractor. It would require sanding with a diamond grinding wheel to smooth the surface. The it would need to be honed and polished to give it a shine.

• Mogie
    Mogie

Have you contacted the original contractor and explained this problem?

What does you contract read regarding this type of situation?

Photograph everything. Keep all receipts even remotely connected with this.

Keep a phone log of every call you make regarding this, who you talk to, a brief wrap up of the conversation and the date and time of the call.

Call you better business bureau and any consumer agencies in your area.

• Kathie
    Kathie

You can also file a complaint very easily with the Contractor’s license board. In your state. If you used a non-licensed contractor take them to Small Claims court.

Betsy

Hi Katie: Contact the contractor and have them come back and fix the problem. If they won't, that's what small claims court is for. If you don't want them to fix it, tell the judge that you want to use another contractor because you've "Lost Faith" in this one. Those are the words to use. Also, ask for your court costs, too.

• Morgan McBride
    Morgan McBride

I don't think you can cover that

• Chloe Crabtree
    Chloe Crabtree

I do not think that can be repaired, that part of the cabinet would have to be replaced.

• Cynthia H
    Cynthia H

Hi! I would contact the manufacturer. They value their consumers and will make every effort to help you make it right. Just a thought. I imagine it can be repaired by someone with the right tools and skills. Good luck!

• Flipturn
    Flipturn

Do you have a written contract that was signed by both you and the contractor before any work began or before any money was exchanged?

If so, what does the wording read as far as work being completed to the customer's satisfaction?

If you do not have a contract, then unfortunately, you will not be able to file against him in small claims court for breach of, or unfulfilling his responsibilities of the contract, simply because none exists.

• Flipturn
    Flipturn

Being that this eyesore is in such a central prominent location on the countertop, I would not suggest trying to 'fix' it yourself by any diy methods. You will continue to see it forever, and be reminded about the situation.

William is right that the entire piece will need to be removed, sanded, honed and polished. This most likely will need to be done at the premises where the piece was originally cut, or at a similar commercial location that prepares the same type of quartz countertops.

• Annie
    Annie

You will need to find the matching quarts. Looks like quite the mess, I hope that is not around the whole counter....

• Jeremy Hoffpauir
    Jeremy Hoffpauir
    12 hours ago

Unfortunately, the entire piece needs to be redone - that's the only way to do it correctly.

• Agnes Chrzanowska
    Agnes Chrzanowska
    14 minutes ago

This is not something you can do .. I would contact another contractor to see if he can use epoxy to help out ..