Repurposed Strainer and Jello Mold Flower

$3

I love making garden flowers out of repurposed things that I find at thrift stores or garage sales.

When something looks like a good garden art flower candidate, and is a dollar or less, it comes home with me.

For my flower I'm using a $1 silver metal strainer, a $1 copper bundt cake pan, a 25 cent red glass candleholder, a stainless steel spoon from my stash, and some GOOP adhesive that I had on hand.

Just for fun I spray painted the bottom of the strainer red. I like my flowers to look good from all sides.

You can use either Marine Goop or E6000 glue, whichever you have access to.

When making flowers like this always remember to add the glue to the highest point. For the copper jello mold that’s the bumps around the outside.

I placed the jello mold into the center of the strainer, wiggling it a bit to get good contact, and then glued the red glass candle holder into the center of the mold.

Then I let that cure for 24 hours.

I took the stainless steel spoon outside and had an stress release therapy session. lol.

Sorry spoon, but I really did need you to be flat.

After bending the spoon, I glued it onto the back of the strainer holding it in place with painter’s tape.

Again I let the glue cure for 24 hours.

Here you can see how the spoon sits nice and snug in the pipe.

This is a cooper pipe that I spray painted green ages ago and also used for my repurposed steamer/strainer flowers.

Here’s a side view.

The red back of the strainer is not totally necessary, but it adds another dimension and it ties in with the red candle holder in the center.

TIP: If you have cold and snowy winters like I do you should store any flowers that are glued together safely out of the elements. This will help the glue hold for years to come. Regular rain is fine during the warmer months but ice, snow, and freezing temps put a lot of stress on the glue.

It’s hard to see it in the picture but the light comes through the petal-shaped holes of the strainer so beautifully, and the glass candle holder shimmers inside the copper jello mold.

When putting things together for a flower like this I’m always looking at the interplay of the pieces, and what they bring to each other.

The great thing about making flowers like this, is what you can create is only limited by your imagination. By using odds and ends, every flower can be a unique piece of garden art.

It only took about 10 minutes to put this together, not including drying time.

If you enjoyed this project you can find more repurposed flower projects on my blog here.

31 Ways To Keep Your Home Organized
15 Home Improvement DIY Ideas You'll Want To Copy This Month
12 Container Garden Ideas to Kick Off Spring
Super Cool Painting Techniques You've Probably Never Seen!
23 Surprising Uses for Curtain Rings
15 Unconventional Ways To Use A Tomato Cage
Tuula - Color Me Thrifty

• John McFarland
    John McFarland

Wouldn't any piece of metal work for the holder on the back?

• Tuula - Color Me Thrifty
      Tuula - Color Me Thrifty

I use spoons because I have a lot, and can always get more at the thrift stores here. I'm sure there are many things that could work.

• Evelyn Nugent
    Evelyn Nugent

I'm wondering why the strainer is used. I think it takes away from the jelly mold big time.

The mold and red glass look very pretty in themselves. Also wondering, could the stem be narrower by using a different sized pipe?

It's great seeing other people making things out of next to nothing!! Good for you.

• Thanks Evelyn! When creating projects like this it's all about personal choices. I love mixing metals, and the silver strainer with the copper bundt pan works for me. Also, you can't really see it in the pictures, but I like the way the light comes through the strainer holes and reflects against the copper. The bundt pan and the red candleholder could certainly be used on their own, but like I said... it's all about making personal choices when creating.

• How did you get the strainer handled off?