The Kayla Pillow - Crochet for a Cure

$6

Spring brings new life and with it new possibilities. I think that's what the Kayla pillow embraces! Watch this quick video to see what this passion project is all about:

Background

The past month has been an emotional roller coaster for me and my husband because both our moms passed away from Alzheimer's. While my mom was in palliative care, delving into learning Tunisian crochet helped focus my sadness into positive energy. Working away on the design of the Kayla pillow, I would sit by mom and crochet while keeping her company.

Mom taught me how to crochet when I was six. She instilled in me a love of everything DIY and craft. So it's come full circle: we're donating 100% of all pattern sales to benefit Alzheimers in memory of both our moms.

About the Tunisian Crochet Hook

Without knowing anything about Tunisian crochet, I assumed I could just order the hook size recommended on the yarn. But it turns out that Tunisian crochet works up much denser than regular crochet so you need to increase the hook size by at least 1 mm, if not more. For a worsted weight yarn, I would recommend a 6.0 mm double-end hook. A double end hook is essential for working with two colours.

One of my favourite features is the button closure in the back of the pillow cover, so it's removable for washing. It's crocheted in Tunisian crochet smock stitch.

However, when I crochet the Kayla pillow for my sisters, I'll incorporate an item that Mom made to use for the back of the pillow instead. That will make a more special piece for them to remember her by.

Tutorial - How to Smock Stitch

The smock stitch on its own would make a beautiful pillow cover, so I'm going to show you how to do it!

Watch this Video!

Grab a 6mm crochet hook and some worsted weight yarn to crochet along with me!

Living without our memories and experiences is tragic. If you would like to support the cause,  buy the Kayla pillow e-Pattern (or gift it to a friend who crochets!). Remember, 100% of all pattern sales benefit Alzheimer's.

If you don't crochet, please lend your support by helping us build awareness. Share the highlighted link above with your friends and family on social media (like Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest) to help get the word out :).

Many thanks in advance!

• Worsted weight yarn  (Yarn store)
  • Double end Tunisian crochet hook  (Fabric store)

22 Homemade Soaps You Can Give As Gifts All Year Round
These Bathroom Makeovers Might Inspire You To Update Your Own
31 Astounding Things You Didn't Know You Could Do With Contact Paper
Old License Plates Lying Around? Check Out These 28 Snazzy Decor Ideas
15 Kitchen DIY Ideas That Will Come In Handy
Turn Dollar Store Laundry Basket Into Wreath Form In 8 Easy Steps
Birdz of a Feather

• Kelly J. Tinney
    Kelly J. Tinney

I love this. Can people buy a finished pillow? I can’t crotchet but would love to buy a pillow because my Momma had dementia.

• Birdz of a Feather
      Birdz of a Feather

Thank you Kelly; I'm so sorry to hear that you mom has dementia too. My heart goes out to you!

Unfortunately at this time, it's only available as a pattern. However, if you have a friend who crochets, you can always gift them the pattern (they just need to sign up on the platform, so instead of purchasing, you can send it to them).

Many people who don't crochet are also buying the pattern just to support the cause. It isn't very expensive if you'd still like to purchase it as a donation.

Lastly, because the Kayla Pillow is an e-Pattern, there are how-to videos with each step. This probably doesn't apply to you, but for anyone reading this who has ever wanted to learn, the videos are great once you learn some basics. The platform has a lot of free beginner projects that can teach you the basics :)