Asked on Feb 24, 2021

Paint a light maple table and chairs?

Becky at Flipping the FlipAgnes ChrzanowskaJeremy Hoffpauir
+16

I want a grey finish and wonder if stripping off the clear coating is required? One product J saw states not necessary just use their product

about $50 a quart.

Maple table and chairs I want to paint grey

do I need to strip them?

• Cheryl A
    Cheryl A

you could white wash it if you wanted a light look, you could chalk paint it any color you like and you can just paint it - I have one similar to yours and I painted the base an antique white and the top darker and it turned out really nice you could use kilz or some other product like that so you don't have to strip it first Behr paints at Home Depot some of their colored paints already has the base coat in the paint

• GrandmasHouseDIY
    GrandmasHouseDIY

Hi there, nope you don't need to strip it to change its color however, before you start, I would clean it really well and then sand it down all over with a fine grit sand paper and then clean it really well again. The light scuffing with the sand paper will help your new finish really stick :)

William

Just lightly sand to roughen the surface for paint with a green kitchen scrubby or fine grit sandpaper. 200 grit would work. Prime with a good primer then paint your color.

• Kathy Gunter Law
    Kathy Gunter Law

I would definitely take the finish off before trying to change the color. You can use fine steel wool rather than sanding.

• Dee
    Dee

Steel wool or a scrubbie sanding will make the paint bond. You could also buy a grabbing Primer just to make sure. After priming let dry thoroughly or the paint will peel off.

• Morgan McBride
    Morgan McBride

Clear coat sealant will protect the surface! Definitely should do it on a table that will get a lot of use

• SBlizzard
    SBlizzard

Lightly sand to break the finish, then use gel stain in a grey to be able to see the wood grain. Then use a clear coat.

• Holly Lengner - Lost Mom
    Holly Lengner - Lost Mom

A light sanding and cleaning would be great before painting.

Home and Garden DIY Ideas | Hometalk

• Debi53
    Debi53

You really don't need to sand if you use a degreaser/deglosser product. You liberally wipe this on and let it sit (follow directions). It makes the surface tacky. Then use a bonding primer. The surface goes from shiny to "tacky" and grabs the primer. I have used this on paneled walls, furniture, kitchen cabinets, etc. You name it I have painted it using this method. This is particularly good for curved or intricate areas that it is difficult to sand. Having said that, because the top of the table gets so much use/abuse, I would sand it lightly and then apply the deglosser. Thankfully the flat tabletop is easy to sand. You don't have to strip the top, just dull the finish. One of the keys to a good paint job is not the paint as much as it is the primer. It's not usually the paint that actually peels or flakes off, it is the primer that peels off and takes the paint with it. Use the highest quality bonding primer you can and then any decent quality paint will be fine. I also agree with Morgan who said that a clear topcoat is a good idea-just for the top of the table.

• Maura White
    Maura White

I used a similar product to paint my cupboards and it worked great for me - read about it here: https://happydealhappyday.com/how-to-paint-kitchen-cabinets-without-sanding/

• Lindsay Aratari
    Lindsay Aratari

You could chalk paint it and then you don't have to prime it

• Jeremy Hoffpauir
    Jeremy Hoffpauir

You don't need to strip clear coat. You can use 2 coats of chalk paint. Checkout this tutorial: https://do-daddy.com/how-to-distress-painted-wood-furniture/

• Agnes Chrzanowska
    Agnes Chrzanowska

Here are some ideas https://www.pinterest.com/search/pins/?q=Paint%20a%20light%20maple%20table%20and%20chairs%3F&rs=typed&term_meta[]=Paint%20a%20light%20maple%20table%20and%20chairs%3F%7Ctyped

• Agnes Chrzanowska
    Agnes Chrzanowska

I would use a chalk paint to paint them all

• Clean it well, maybe lightly sand to scuff the existing surfacing then prime it well. Paint over the primer.