DIY Upholstery Cleaner

$1

Today we are sharing a simple DIY upholstery cleaner you can whip up anytime, and it works great for stains on fabric!

My adorable little assistant “helped” me with this post today. She was very excited about cleaning her chair!

Although these ingredients are simple, the secret is in the ratios and science behind how they work.

We will go into detail on this too! Be sure to follow Amelia and me on Instagram (@alexis.roch ) for fun things 🙂

Ingredients for making homemade upholstery cleaner:

• 1 cup of 3% hydrogen peroxide
  • 1/4 cup of Blue dawn dishwashing liquid (Ultra works best for this)
  • Spray Bottle
  • Soft bristle brush (upholstery brush) or microfiber cloth

Directions:

1. Spray the surface of your upholstery where you want it to be cleaned.
  2. Allow solution to sit for a few minutes.
  3. With a brush or microfiber cloth (brush works better for stains), rub UPWARDS (Rub up towards your body instead of rubbing down into fabric, link to IG video of this can be seen in blog post )until stain is gone. Very important not to rub down or around when it comes to stains.
  4. Let surface dry and make sure stain is gone. Most stains are gone immediately, but anything tough or set in might need two treatments.

** I always use Dawn Ultra in these solutions, but if you don’t have any, use a good quality CONCENTRATED dish soap for this recipe. Click here to learn why I use Dawn over any other brand for homemade solutions.

Here is a little before and after on her chair. She had some stains from a pouch that spilled. You can see the stain is completely gone! There is still a little bit of dinginess to the fabric, so I actually did two rounds of this solution for extra cleaning. The stain went away after the first round though.

Common Questions + Answers

If you have any questions regarding this homemade solution, please visit the blog post link because every question, how this works, and all details will be found here.

16 Floating Shelves That Will Stun Guests
31 Storage Hacks That Will Instantly Declutter Your Kitchen
30 Adorable DIY Ideas For July 4th
26 Adorable Ornament Ideas to Get You REALLY Excited for Christmas
Get Ready For The Baseball Season With These Great Projects
Alexis @ Chemistry Cachet

• Helen Semrau
    Helen Semrau

My dog “scooted” on my fairly new dark blue couch. I’m concerned about using this with hydrogen peroxide. Won’t it bleach out the color? Generally, I use diluted “Amazing” from the dollar store on everything including rugs. I even use it in the rug shampoo machine.

• Alexis @ Chemistry Cachet
      Alexis @ Chemistry Cachet

Hydrogen peroxide 3% isn't really strong enough to bleach fabric coloring, but does oxidize stains. I would just test a small area first and check fabric the next day. I have never had issues with it discoloring fabrics, but always good to check

• Carol Brown
    Carol Brown

I'd love to try out this homemade cleaning product BUT I live in France so Dawn Ultra is not available to me. Could you explain what makes this dish cleaning product better than one from another brand? Is it the 50% spudless claim or does it relate to a chemical ingredient that only Dawn uses? Thanks for sharing anyway!

• Katy
    Katy

Can this be used to remove stains on carpeting? The hydrogen peroxide doesn’t affect the color at all? Thank you.

• Roseanne Balint
      Roseanne Balint

Yes hydrogen peroxide was recommended to be used full strength by a carpet cleaning professional. He stated it is a protein based stain remover. For bodily functions and blood. spray and let it sit a little & blot off. I use this all the time.

• Mary McDonald
    Mary McDonald

Thank you for the recipe!

• Lynne
    Lynne

I used this mixture on my outdoor cushion stains. It was wonderful but left ring marks behind. Now what to do about those.

• Alexis @ Chemistry Cachet
      Alexis @ Chemistry Cachet

Do a second treatment then rinse well. This is just the dirt that didn’t get pulled up all the way. You can also do a vacuum to it after rinsing if needed. For outside cushions I also use this recipe we have which can do better on that type of fabric.

the difference is the larger amount of water in the solution for outdoor fabrics. Either one is great though, and just follow the steps I first mentioned to get the ring up :)