Custom Drawer Organizer

3 materials
$5

Are you incredibly sick of those store bought silverware organizers sliding all over the place? I know I am! Ours was a few years old and the dividers kept breaking or allowing the silverware to slide under each slat and I was ready to head out to buy a new one. BUT I walked past my scrap wood pile and thought... why don’t I just make one?

I started by using some leftover plywood cut to the exact size of the drawer bottom. Then we grabbed some leftover 1x2’s and cut them to fit our drawer (your measurements will depend upon your drawer size). We planned out where to organize our silverware and how big we wanted each cubby. Next up, we used wood glue to secure each divider in place. Be sure to allow the item to fully cure for at least 24 hours before placing it back in the kitchen.

This job required a circular saw, wood glue, and some patience! I’m so excited to have a custom organizer for just the cost of scrap wood.

I was really tired of this old store bought organizer always breaking.

I first cut a piece of plywood to fit exactly in our drawer.

We mapped out how we wanted to organize all of our utensils.

Then we used wood glue to secure each in place. We may add additional nails later but for now we want to try just glue.

Once all the pieces were in, we allowed the insert to dry for 24 hours before placing back in the kitchen.

It feels so great to stop fighting with that junky store bought one!

Questions on this post

Comments

7 comments
Next