Asked on Feb 24, 2021

How do i make sure i dont have too many soffit vents?

Becky at Flipping the FlipNick CaseyChas' Crazy Creations
+9

I was looking to find a spot to vent a bathroom fan as the hose was placed in the gable by the previous owner. I was thinking of going through the soffit as I don't want to put a hole in the roof and we get ALOT of snow. After looking at the soffit of my home I saw that the entire soffit was vented. There are no solid coverings a. All vents the full length of the home on both sides! Is this ok? Should I change it?

Signed,

Sorry Didnt mean to Vent.

• Mogie
    Mogie

How Many Soffit Vents Should You Have?

https://hvacseer.com/how-many-soffit-vents/

Betsy

Hi Nick: First of all, let me say that I loved the pun :) There should not be a problem with venting your fan to the outside. Are you talking about the soffit vents that are under the roof under hang with the little holes, or the ones that are on the side of the house and sort of circular or oval and about a foot in diameter? As long as the fan is venting to the outside, there should be no problem with mold, wood rot or squirrels, rats or other critters seeking warmth during the winter. So, if you can make it go outside, that would be the way to go.

Hope you found this helpful.

• Dee
    Dee

A bathroom vent should be vented to the outside not into your attic. There are covers that go over the pipes.

• Seth
    Seth

Nick,

Venting through the roof with rigid ductwork is the proper way to vent your bathroom fan. Current residential building code does not allow new construction to vent through the soffit. The reason is the warm moist air you are venting out of the bathroom will be drawn right back into your attic by the very soffit vent you want to vent through. The reason your soffit vent is continuous is to provide air flow over the underside of your roof sheathing and up to your ridge vent.(Do you have styrofoam baffles stapled to the sheathing?) I am assuming you have a ridge vent. That airflow moves moisture out and keeps your attic cold in the winter. The last thing you want to do is introduce warm moist air into a cold attic. I live in the North East. Lots of snow. That is the way it is done. Rigid ductwork is more efficient that the flexible type.

• Annie
    Annie

The more venting the better. You need free air movement in the attic,,

• Jeremy Hoffpauir
    Jeremy Hoffpauir

This is the proper way to vent it.

• Deb K
    Deb K

Hi Nick, keep is as it is, you have no issues, so status quo

Attic ventilation serves a number of purposes. It reduces summer heat buildup, prolonging the life of roofing and reduces air conditioner loads. After air sealing, attic ventilation is your second line of defence against the water vapour that may have found its way into the attic.

• Johnavallance82
    Johnavallance82

Hello Nick,

You could go through the wall or window instead!

• Nick Casey
    Nick Casey

I am now thinking I may go thru the gable. that way I don't have to worry about it kicking back into the soffit itself.

• If you’re unsure about any of this, you should really discuss it with your local building department. The last thing you want to do is damage your home or cause any future problems in selling it if this is done improperly.