DIY Found Vase

$10

Sometimes I find myself seeking an instant gratification project.

Nothing a little spray paint and old vase can't fix. OH AND DIRT TOO!!!

Thats right, I said dirt.

The materials for this are not specific. I found two vases at a thrift store that I really liked the size and shape of. I wanted to give them a new look. The matte spray paint was purchased at Lowes Home Improvement. Lastly, you will need some dirt. Loose dirt or mud will work, but the mud takes longer to dry.

I started off by painting the vase with my matte spray paint. You can use any sheen you prefer but I find the matte sheen to help with the "aged" look in this situation. This is the sister vase to the one pictured above. The original vase was done with my daughter.

Next I put on some gloves to protect my fresh manicure and got busy digging up some dirt. I really enjoyed this part since my 3 year old loves playing in the dirt we got to do this part together. Theres no way to mess this up. I found that applying the dirt while the paint was still a bit tacky was a great choice.

I won't lie, I felt odd rubbing dirt on a piece of decor. However, now that they are finished I regret nothing. I think the texture the matte paint and dirt add to this vase gives an old/ aged look. Be sure to take a dry towel and dust the loose dirt from the vase before styling in your space.

Inspirational Ideas for Spring Flowers
30 Unbelievable Backyard Update Ideas
The 25 Most-Viewed Mason Jar Projects on Hometalk
16 Fun Ways You Can Use Food To Decorate Your Home
Quick Easter Egg Ideas That Are Just Too Cute

• Carlie Folse Phillips
    Carlie Folse Phillips

Did you seal the paint/dirt after you applied it to the vases?

• Jessica
      Jessica

Hi Carlie! I did not. I dusted the loose dirt before brining it inside and have moved it several times since. No issues, though you could totally use a poly spray to seal if you prefer.

• Liz
    Liz

I really love this! I'm going to try this with some left over sand I have. It's got that Puter look to the vases...

• Jessica
      Jessica

Liz i think sand would be a lovely texture on the vase. Good luck with your project!

• Fatu Wesley
    Fatu Wesley

Great idea! From a potter!