Pottery Barn Inspired DIY Vase

$10

I went out thrifting the other day…I was on a mission to find something to use for a Pottery Barn inspired DIY vase. I love all the Pottery Barn and Restoration Hardware vases and planters that are out there right now…but I don’t $100 like them, if you know what I mean!!

We have a Savers thrift store nearby that’s huge and I usually find cool things to flip. I was in there 30 seconds before I found the perfect vase!!

The thing that I love about all those high end store vases is the texture and aged look they all have!!

I have a cool and simple way to create some texture to the smooth glass vase. I recently used this technique on my DIY Topiaries too.

I used a plastic putty knife and coated the outside of the vase with joint compound. It’s so easy…like frosting a cake!!

You need to let it dry overnight before moving on to the painting.

The next step to making this thrift store bargain look like a Pottery Barn vase is to do a little painting.

Using an off white chalk paint, I coated the entire vase with paint; then let it dry completely before moving on.

Next up, I dry brushed dark brown chalk paint over the vase.

Dry brushing is when you dip your paint brush into the paint and then tap off most of it.

You can see how the dark brown paint picks up all the cool texture the joint compound created.

Then I used the same dry brush effect using a putty brown colored chalk paint.

My last quick step was to dab on a little gray paint. I used a piece of natural sponge, but a crumpled up paper towel would have the same overall effect.

Here's a close up to see the details a little better.

A few faux fern stems in the vase and it was ready for my entryway table!

C’mon now…can you believe it’s the same thrift store vase???

Check Out These Wonderful Ways To Decorate Your Plain Mugs
30 Different Ways to DIY an Adorable Snowman This Winter
15 Unique Father's Day Crafts
30 Creative Painting Techniques & Ideas You MUST See
21 Small Things You Can Do to Beautify Your Home This Weekend
Upgrade Your Backyard With These 30 Clever Ideas
Jennifer Howard| Cottage On Bunker Hill

• Luna
    Luna

Does it hold well? Won't it tend to come off easily since glass is so smooth for it to adhere to?

• Luna
      Luna

Thanks! Glad to know that! I'll definitely give this project a try!

• Pinkflmgo626
    Pinkflmgo626

Question: did you use silver paint on this too? One photo looks like it might be silver.

But I will say you did a great job! Not only with the finished product, but the step by step instructions are also very good & I Can’t wait to try this out! Thanks for sharing.

• Cathymcarty
    Cathymcarty

fwor the amount of amount of money for the pottery wow dont agree, with this . the spackling alonethat sike is 18.00 in walmart and the chack paint is vaery expensive.

• Jennifer
      Jennifer

You can even make your own “chalk paint” to use up any remnants or partial cans you may have laying around. Literally just add calcium carbonate to the paint. I eyeball it, but you can find recipes with ratios online. You can honestly use just about any powder. I’ve used baking soda a corn starch with good results, but you can get large bags of powered chalk on amazon.

• Julie
    Julie

Thanks for sharing this! I love it so much that I'm in the middle of doing two vases right now, and I'm not a "crafts" person.😁. The video was very helpful and now I feel like I can finish the project. It's just what I need for our living room, and I didn't know it till I saw your DIY.😊 thanks again!!

• I love that Julie!! I just made another one last night on a Instagram live with one of my blogging friends using a smaller vase from Dollar Tree and it came out super cute!! After I smoothed on the joint compound I tapped the vase w/ the plastic putty knife and it made such a cool texture!!

• Debbie
    Debbie

Absolutely beautiful. Great job. I personally think it looks better than the $100+ items I have seen in stores.