How do I repurpose a roll top desk?

+10

I have a 1990's roll top desk that is made with oak. The roll top is not useful, but since the wood is so nice I don't want to burn it either. I need a regular desk upstairs so can I just remove the drawers and use them with a different top? What do I do with the rest of the desk? Thanks

• Jeremy Hoffpauir Jeremy Hoffpauir on Feb 28, 2021

Do you have a picture of your desk?

• Lindsay Aratari Lindsay Aratari on Feb 28, 2021

Maybe use for storage?

• Pat Pat on Feb 28, 2021

My husband built his roll top desk fr0m oak.. He built it in such a way you can take the roll top off and use the desk as a flat surface. By doing it this way, makes the desk easier to move. Is the top of your desk removable?

• Cynthia H Cynthia H on Feb 28, 2021

Hi! Many people love rolltop desks. Maybe sell yours and get something else for your use. I see them selling all the time on Facebook. Good luck!

• Jamie Southers Jamie Southers on Mar 01, 2021

Thank you. I will try that. Win Win, great suggestion!

• Kathy Gunter Law Kathy Gunter Law on Mar 01, 2021

You could remove the "roll" section on the desk. I have one that began to fall apart at my parents' home so we just took that piece of it off and then it works like a regular desk. If you don't want the high back and sides, you can remove that part as well.

• Em Em on Mar 01, 2021

I would sell the roll top and get another desk. People love the style of rolltops. Try you local want ads and use the money from sale of rolltop to get a style you like second hand.

Try sites like Nextdoor and Five miles.

• Deb K Deb K on Mar 01, 2021

Hi Jamie, if it's in nice condition offer it up for sale, then use the money you earn to buy a desk with all the functionality you require.

• Johnavallance82 Johnavallance82 on Mar 03, 2021

Hello Jamie,

Advertise the Desk for sale! Then buy a new more suitable style for yourself. Lot's of folk really like those desks so they can hide the work at the end of the day!

• Cheryl A Cheryl A on Mar 03, 2021

Why not try to sell it or trade it for a desk that suits your needs?

• Could you maybe hang the drawer part on a wall for storage or decor?

• Jamie Southers Jamie Southers on Mar 18, 2021

Interesting idea..maybe, why not. I am pretty good at microsoft paint. I could do a concept picture. If I do the concept picture I will post it. Thank You