Solid Headboard Made From 3 Vintage Farmhouse Doors

2 materials
$150

Oh Hi! Thanks for being here!

Today I’m so excited to show you how we made a solid headboard from 3 vintage farmhouse doors!

If you follow me over on Instagram @somethingpaintedwhite you most likely know that this past September we bought a little summer home in the mountains here in AZ. The Phoenix area gets brutally hot in the summers, often reaching 120 degrees, and having an escape from it is ideal. We call our place “The Ranch” even though it’s not a ranch…it’s a tiny little park model RV with a room addition, but we love it!

solid headboard made from 3 vintage farmhouse doors something painte, When we found The Ranch on Zillow
When we found ‘The Ranch’ on Zillow

It needs some serious updating so we’ve been ripping out cabinets, painting walls, and making lots of plans!

The previous owners used the room addition as a second family room, but we decided to turn it into our master bedroom because the actual bedroom is super tiny and wasn’t going to work for us.

I sat down and started making plans the first time we saw the ranch! With a much larger bedroom we could now get a king-size bed which is quite necessary for two adults and two dogs… yes, we sleep in the dogs’ bed…don’t judge!

It only took about 2 seconds after putting the new king-size bed in place for me to start making plans for a headboard. I’ve always loved headboards made from farmhouse doors and I thought that would be the perfect thing for our little ranch. The biggest issue…a window right above the bed…but I’ve covered up windows before and had no problem doing that here! Dee is super handy and always willing to help bring my ideas to life! Our fabulous open shelving and ladder pot rack are two such examples of my hubby’s handiwork!

solid headboard made from 3 vintage farmhouse doors something painte, Looks out to the back patio
Looks out to the back patio

First, we needed farmhouse doors so off we went to my favorite junker/picker, Lamell, because I knew he had a semi-truck full of old doors. We started looking through them one by one, while our hands were freezing from the cold wintry day.  We found 3 very similar doors, in size and color. Lamell, the junker/picker even delivers and brought them to the ranch for us that evening! Yay!!! I went right to work cleaning them because they were filthy! First I had to vacuum all the dust and spider webs off of them and I followed that up with some good old-fashioned soap and water.

solid headboard made from 3 vintage farmhouse doors something painte, Getting all the yuck off
Getting all the yuck off!

solid headboard made from 3 vintage farmhouse doors something painte, BEFORE SO DIRTY
BEFORE…SO DIRTY!!!!

Remember the window above the bed? There are several other windows in the room, and that window, in particular, faces the highway and was a bit noisy at night. So, we closed the blinds and put a piece of foil insulation in it to (keep the cold and heat out)

solid headboard made from 3 vintage farmhouse doors something painte, Blinds closed and taped to hold them in place
Blinds closed and taped to hold them in place

solid headboard made from 3 vintage farmhouse doors something painte, Foil insulation placed in window and taped
Foil insulation placed in window and taped

Dee had a plan for securing the doors together and then securing them to the wall, but first, we stood them against the wall to make sure it was all going to work.

solid headboard made from 3 vintage farmhouse doors something painte, This will work but they need to be even
This will work, but they need to be even

We moved the bed, AGAIN, (it’s so heavy) and laid the doors face down so Dee could level them at the top and secure them to each other with flat connector brackets!

solid headboard made from 3 vintage farmhouse doors something painte, Doors are secured with flat connector braces
Doors are secured with flat connector braces

Now that the farmhouse doors are leveled at the top and secured to each other, we stood them up flat against the wall and Dee secured them at the top using corner brackets. The last thing I need to worry about is my headboard falling on me while I sleep!

solid headboard made from 3 vintage farmhouse doors something painte, Secured to the wall
Secured to the wall

With the doors centered and secured to the wall, we have just enough space on each side for a small nightstand. Fortunately, these small round tables came with the place when we bought it. I have repainted them and will do another post about that process because it’s easy and fabulous! Here’s a little sneak peek for you! (you’re welcome!)

solid headboard made from 3 vintage farmhouse doors something painte, Centered secured and waiting for DECOR
Centered, secured, and waiting for DECOR!!!!

I apologize for the quality of the photos in this post! I was so excited to get my farmhouse door headboard finished that we worked on it mostly when it was dark outside so it made photos a bit difficult.  Oh, and in case you’re wondering… from the outside…it just looks like the blinds are closed! But inside…it’s a fabulous farmhouse door headboard! Yay!!! We haven’t been able to spend more than a few days at a time at the ranch so decorating the headboard will have to wait until the next trip and I promise to update you when that happens. I have lots of ideas for decorating this fabulous farmhouse door headboard, so stay tuned for that!

I hope to see you on the Gram @somethingpaintedwhite, or on my blog at www.somethingpaintedwhite.com

Have a great day friends,

~Cindy~

• Brackets   (Ace Hardware)
  • Old Doors   (Local Junker)

Questions on this post

Your question...
  2 questions

Comments

2 of 5 comments
Next