Orange Peel Seed Starter

$1

I love growing my own plants from seed! I find it very satisfying and I also like the fact that growing my own greatly reduces my plastic usage. With this method the plastic is ZERO and makes moving plants on much easier too!

Here is everything you will need. An orange, a knife, a chopping board, a fork, the seeds you want to grow and some compost.

First, you need to cut your orange in half. I first discovered this seed starter idea when trying to think of more interesting things to do with my orange peels, rather than just putting them into food recycling.

Next, the orange needs to be "hollowed" out. I used a fork but if you have one of those manual juicers that would work just as well, if not a little better (less effort anyway haha). Once you've removed the edible flesh and juice it should look something like this.

To create opportunity for drainage, you need to cut a little cross or x into the bottom of each half you're going to use.

The bottom should now look like this. Plenty of space for excess water to drain out.

Now it's time to fill your orange halves with compost.

Use your finger, as shown, to make holes in the compost for your seeds.

They should look roughly like this.

Place 2-3 seeds in each hole, as shown.

Cover the holes over with a little compost with your finger, and gently press down to firm the compost a little.

Water each orange half lightly.

There you have it! Zero waste, eco friendly, easy seed starters. For me, what makes these even better is that when the baby plants are ready to be planted on, you can put the whole thing into the larger pot/container as the orange peel will rot into the compost.

30 Stylish Update Ideas You'll Want To Use For Your Bedroom
31 Astounding Things You Didn't Know You Could Do With Contact Paper
Keep Your Craft Supplies Organized With These Fun Storage Ideas
18 Wintery Wreath Ideas That You'll Want To Make For Your Home
Get The Outdoor Space You've Always Dreamed Of With These DIY Ideas
30 Jewelry Organizing Ideas That Are Better Than a Jewelry Box
Hometalk's Top 20 DIY Crafts For Kids

• Cathy
    Cathy

Worms don't like them plus they do add more acidity to your compost. You will need to balance that acidity when you use your compost by getting the soil tested.

• Kar
    Kar

Will try this today as I am in the middle of seed starting right now. Other uses for citrus peels: zest the fruit onto a plate, allow it to dry for a day then store in jar for adding to recipes/dishes. Throw the peels in a large container with vinegar and marinate for a couple of weeks... strain... add water and a dash of liquid soap... use it for cleaning.