$3 DIY Lampshade Makeover

$3

This is a quick, simple DIY that I think you'll love! Do you have a lampshade that is old & tattered? Or one that doesn't match your decor? Did you know you can update a lampshade very inexpensively? There are so many options you can choose for yours. They can be painted, decoupaged, covered with fabric or lace, decorated with beads....etc! Over the years, I have recovered several lampshades using fabric & trim.

This lampshade makeover started because I wanted to add some teal accents in the living room & decided to paint a side table. The table was a light olivey color & the lampshade color looked good with it. However, once I painted the table, I felt the burgundy was too harsh against the new color so I decided to update the lampshade.

Now that I made that decision, I searched Pinterest to see what type of makeover to do. As I mentioned earlier, I've used fabric before but there are so many other options and I wanted to try something different this time. After looking around for a bit, I decided to try jute twine. I found some at the $1 store. It was sold in a pack of 3 and since I didn't know how much I would need, I bought 2 packages.

The first step was to remove the trim & then the burgundy fabric. I wasn't sure if I also wanted to remove the inner fabric, so I carefully cut off the outer fabric with a small pair of scissors.

When the outer fabric was removed, I could see that the inner fabric did not sit flush with the frame. I really liked the curvature of the frame and thought that maybe the jute would snug the fabric up to the frame as I added it.

Starting at the top of the lampshade, I tied the jute to the frame. I then started wrapping the frame & inner fabric with the jute. After finishing a small section, I could see that the inner fabric was preventing the jute from laying flat against the frame and the jute was not helping the fabric to sit closer to the frame.

Although I liked the soft light the inner fabric provided when the bulb was on, I decided to remove it anyway.

Once I removed the inner fabric, the jute I had wrapped was loose. Instead of taking it off, I just tightened it one strand at a time.

If you've worked with jute before, you know that it is thin and a bit scratchy. I chose not to wear gloves but I do think it's a good idea to wear a pair.

Since the twine is so thin, it did take a while to wrap the entire frame. Each time I finished roll, I tied the new string to the existing one. Then, as I wrapped the frame, it was easy to tuck the ends between the strands. Since the frame is wider at the bottom than at the top, there will be some space between the strands along the bottom.

To my surprise, I used all 6 rolls before finishing! I went back to the $1 store the next day & bought another 3 pack. I ended up using about 2/3 of the 7th roll. Each roll is 100ft so I figure this lampshade took 675 to finish.

After all the jute was on the frame, I snipped off the longer 'hairs' on both the inside & outside of the frame. We use an LED bulb that doesn't get hot, but I thought it was safer to make sure there were no long jute hairs on the inside of the frame.

With some paint that I had on hand, I also changed the color of the TV remote holder from burgundy to teal. I am loving the new look of this table! This project cost $3 and I have jute left for a future project.

Video of the process

30 Creative Painting Techniques & Ideas You MUST See
Update Your Plain Dishes With These Adorable Ideas
22 Homemade Soaps You Can Give As Gifts All Year Round
25 Adorable Ornament Ideas to Get You SUPER Excited for Christmas
Copy One Of These Lovely Lattice Ideas For Your Home
Jeanne

• Melvina
    Melvina

Does the heat from bulb not get the shade hot

• Tammy
    Tammy

Isn't that a fire hazard?

• Kathy Lindenmuth
    Kathy Lindenmuth

Any clue how I can lengthen the bottom of the lampshade? I think the shade needs to be longer. Lamps were my parents and the original shades were smashed. Someone had thrown them away. And I cannot find a shade longer!

• Sheree
      Sheree

Try going to the goodwill stores they always have shades.

• Bama Amy
    Bama Amy

It’s cute + I was thinking why is she cutting up that good lampshade... I would of stuck the burgundy shade aside + went to Good Will or thrift store to find a damaged one since you removed everything... I was also in agreement to keep part of your existing shade + wrap around on top of that fabric, maybe using a spray adhesive, not sure would have to read about heat, etc... I’m thinking there are some sprays that are used to make fabrics less flammable, I would do that even though you only use led lights... It only takes one wrong bulb to possibly start a fire... I could see using the jute maybe on another lampshade with a complimentary color, applying it around the top + the bottom of the shade...

• Dpbeee2
    Dpbeee2

Looks nice. I like this. I think I would like to dye the jute a color and wrap a shade. Thanks for sharing this.

• Tammie
      Tammie

Or, continuing on this theme, bleaching/washing out the jute to make a lighter color? Cool ideas----am getting inspired!